IGNORED

Rear tail light panel refreshing

richard1

today I realized that my 240Z tail light panel would deserve a refresh. The car is original and I don't want to remove the panel for a complete restoration of this part. Is there any alternatives?

The left side is still a darker grey color but the right side is discolored by the UV and is light grey colored.

My questions are as follow:

1-Is it plastic?

2-Is the original color dark grey as I can guess on the left side?

3-What are the suggestions to match the light grey right side with the darker left side?

It may seems silly but has somebody ever tried black shoe polish?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Edited by richard1

1. It's metal.

2. Original color is dark grey (not black as I mistakenly said - thanks Arne).

3. Pop 'em both off (It's two side separate side panels with a gap in the middle that's hidden by the license plate) and paint!

Edited by JonnyRock
I was wrong!

It's actually three separate pieces, both sides and the center with plate mounts. It's also not black, it should be a medium-dark gray, totally flat, no gloss. Lots of threads here on the proper color. It should be removed from the car to prep it properly for new paint.

tailpaint.jpg

I'd like to remove my rear panels as well and was wondering if anyone knows of a source for the little plastic(?) push pin connectors, or a reasonable replacement. Anyone know the official name of these connectors?

I'd like to remove my rear panels as well and was wondering if anyone knows of a source for the little plastic(?) push pin connectors, or a reasonable replacement. Anyone know the official name of these connectors?

Z Specialties has the ones for the tail light panels. Here's a link to them:

http://www.datsunstore.com/product_info.php/cPath/4_281/products_id/1170

Thanks to Mike B for posting this info recently.

Terry

Edited by TVollnogle

Call Les at Classic Datsun. He has the custom original color mixed in spray cans and will sell you the correct paint if that is what you are looking for. I purchased two cans when I had my bodywork completed and had my painter matched the color. I still have one can @$25.00 per can but I have put that in storage incase I was to need it in the future.

I would remove all three rear panels, clean them up, light sand, steel wool, prime, and then use correct color paint from Les (three light coats). Your tail light panels will look correct from the factory (or as close as we can get).

http://classicdatsun.com

If you are not looking for the sorta-rough, stock finish you can use Duplicolor "graphite" color wheel paint. (see pic)

It's pretty close to the original color, (slightly darker), and availale at most auto parts stores.

post-15388-14150807277535_thumb.jpg

A quick thing to note on re-installing the tail light panels.

Be careful when re-fitting the rear panels. It's easy to scuff the paint on the upper-outer corners when putting them back in...

I used the same plastic riviets that are used on the interior panels. They worked just fine. The rivets used on the taillight trim are smaller heads but same size holes.

I painted my panels a semi-gloss black and they look great.

Make sure they go into the clips on the bottom before you put the rivits on top.