IGNORED

Installed my Hatch Window.

Oiluj

Installed my rear hatch window yesterday. (see pic). Picture also shows color of tail light panels painted with Duplicolor "graphite" wheel paint.

I'm using window rubber seal from "Precision". The actual installation into the car using the "cord" method was relatively easy.

However, inserting the metal into the rubber was not as easy as I remember... It took over an hour to get the metal trim installed into the rubber on the glass.

I plan to install the windshield next weekend when my buddy is available again to help. I installed the metal trim into the rubber on the windshield this morning.

Making progress!

post-15388-14150807198419_thumb.jpg

Looking good. I have found that the Duplicolor graphite wheel paint is a very close match to the original rear panel and hubcap color.

Putting the metal strip into the rubber seal properly was the hardest part of the installation of the hatch glass for me too. I paid a glass shop to install the windshield in mine, because there was less room to maneuver and I didn't want to screw up the Nissan seal or break my NOS windshield.

-Mike

The glass pro who installed both my windshield and rear window after paint put the rubber on the glass, then installed the metal trim into the seals BEFORE installing the windows into the car.

The glass pro who installed both my windshield and rear window after paint put the rubber on the glass, then installed the metal trim into the seals BEFORE installing the windows into the car.

That's the way I did mine too, but it is still a slow process to get the metal trim into the rubber channels without damaging them.

I plan to install the windshield next weekend when my buddy is available again to help. I installed the metal trim into the rubber on the windshield this morning.

Based on this comment, I believe Oilju also installed the metal trims before installing the windows.

-Mike

Yep, that's what I did based on good advice fron this site and some additional research.. Still, it was harder than I thought to install the trim.

Last time, 15 to 20 years ago, I installed the metal trim afterwards. Took me 1/2 a day and my fingers were sore for a day!

i will be doing my glass front and back was there any tools to put back the trim. i heard to use a hair dryer or put the rubber out in the sun for a while. any thought on that from anyone. carl h

Yes, you want the rubber warm. The Installer that did mine, used a spray bottle with soapy water as a lubricant. He also had a couple of nylon tools. One had a rounded point, and the other had a flat blade with rounded edges. Kind of reminded me of Tire Iron's only very small. Took him every bit of six minutes to put the metal trim in... Of course he has most likley done hundreds if not thousands over the years...

I remember seeing the special tools advertised somewhere.. you might want to google it...

FWIW,

Carl B.

Arrg! I didn't remember the idea of using a heat gun to heat / soften the rubber. It was in the low sixty's when I was installing the trim. That would have made it much easier!

To assist installation of the trim I used a modified screwdriver. Took an old blade screwdriver and rounded the corners and all sharp edges. It worked fine, but I'm sure a purpose built tool would have worked better. Still, it got the job done...

Lookin great Julio! I still have this to look forward to. Gonna do it myself when ready. I don't think I can beat 6 minutes!! Thanks for the photos you posted earlier. Does anyone here but me want a Z in every color? Silver looks sooo damn goood on a Z!