IGNORED

New owner of a 1973 240z father son project

Hi Everyone,Just purchased 1973 240z as a project car for my 16 year old son.Car gets picked up next week.I think we got a good deal.Car is all original and for the most part complete.Only missing 3 hub caps,bumper guards,spare tire and jack,steering column cover.Gave $1000 for the project,start complete nut and bolt restoration next week.So any tips or other info will be greatly appreciated.Will be posting photos of progress as we go.Again, Hello and thanks for letting us join the ZCAR CLUB.Roger

Welcome!

Please post pictures of the can before you start. I have pictures of my car still in the PO's driveway and on a dolly while I was preparing to tow it 750 miles home. That was 19 years ago and I still enjoy seeing them.

Thanks Jeff for the encouraging words.Our tow is only 10 miles.I'm the mechanical manager of a 60,000 square foot electric motor repair shop and have access to all the shop eguipment including a 200 sq. ft. sandblast room, glass bead system,acid tank and full machine shop.Should make the job easier.More photos to come,Roger

Welcome, former Keystone State born and raised (Coopersburg) here; best of luck on your project. I always wished my pops would have offered up a father and son project when I was 16. My current Z is a PA car as well and I live in the land of rust free Zs. Mine came from Springtown PA. There are so many great resources for you, MSA, Black Dragon, local Nissan Dealer, Courtesy Nissan, Classic Datsun, and much more. What is the plan total restore or resto-mod? Good luck and congratz.

I did the same thing some 40 yrears ago with my son and I to this day still regret making the mistake of yelling at him when he handed me the wrong tools etc. Please be patient with your son and it will be something to remember always!

Congratulations on the upcoming project! You will find all of the knowledge you need on this site.

Great assortment of equipment! I'm envious.

Was that the blue z sitting in York (M&M Auto, or something like that?)

I'm about 1.5hrs up the road.....

I did the same thing some 40 yrears ago with my son and I to this day still regret making the mistake of yelling at him when he handed me the wrong tools etc. Please be patient with your son and it will be something to remember always!

That is two of us.:stupid:

Although in my case it was just 20 years ago...

You have to keep saying to yourself "this is supposed to be fun".

"Getting the project done is not the objective - enjoying the process with your son is the goal."

Matter of fact - I'd print that out on a large size sign, and put it on the wall of the garage - if I had it to do again. Come to think of it - I do have it to do again, only this time with my Daughter..LOL

FWIW,

Carl B.