IGNORED

Rear Hatch Rust

Tim 76' 280Z

Well these are the two areas that im working on. Is there anything I can use to get down in the little crevices. I understand that these two areas must be perfect before you lay down the body caulking to prevent the rust from coming back. I feel lucky now that I’ve seen pictures of cars with much worse rust in the rear hatch. I just hate body work!

post-16658-14150806931922_thumb.jpg

post-16658-14150806932606_thumb.jpg

I had similar rust problems. I recommend POR paint. If you prep the area with the Marine clean and follow with the metal ready then the paint . This will not be a problem any further. You need to just do as the manufacturer recommends. If you paint your finish color over the POR while it is still tacky then it will bond . I did this on my Z years back in the same area and others and 7 years later no rust. Gary

Mine was much worse and I ended up replacing the panel and molding all the joints to stop it from ever coming back. I also treated this area with POR per the instructions and it came out beautiful. I did use the special primer and then painted over that some time the beginning of 2008.

Sounds like POR is the answer then! So I can just apply the POR and then apply the special primer then the body shop should have no problem applying there own primer and paint right? Can you only apply POR to bare metal?

Edited by Tim 76' 280Z

Hey, Its really easy although I think they do recommend using their 'metal ready' to etch the metal first so the POR15 sticks. I had rust in the same areas you describe and I used a paint stripper type wheel disc on my drill to remove every bit of rust in those tricky areas. I didnt use POR back there but I used it on my entire engine bay. That was quite a task. I cleaned off all the paint and surface rust with the wheel discs then used metal ready to etch the surface and give it some bite. Then cleaned it with Marine Clean and water. I dried that all off quickly and carefully. Then applied the POR15 with a small brush then applied their Tie Coat primer.

I don't know if it's any cheaper, but there's at least one place here in Eugene that keeps it in stock, so no shipping hassles. Brooks' Auto Parts on Glenwood.

Thanks Arne! I wounder if there is anyone has it in Albany?Going to have to call around.