IGNORED

-73 seats webbing or springs ?

ChrisZ

I'm getting pretty tiad of searching and nothing have come up so far.

This is the lazy way of finding out and since i don't want to pull my seats now i'm asking around.

Do the -73 seats have springs and not webbing, i put my hand under the seats and it feels like it have springs, i like to get the seats tightened up a bit, i'm getting pretty tiad of driving around feeling that my arse:ermm: is right over the floor pans, any hints on how to do this, can it be done.

Chris

They have springs. It could be that the old cushion is shot. Attached is a pic of what came out of mine. From the box of receipts that the PO kept, the seats were recovered in 1985. I suspect the old cushion was reused, but they added the extra padding on top of it. That grass stuff sure did stink. Gone now...replaced with new foam.

post-17507-14150806607217_thumb.jpg

If the grass stuff stinks, don't smoke it.ROFL

It can be the cushion's and i'm planning on getting some new from Les at CDM, but this feels more like i'm sinking down because of weak springs.

Any others like to chime in ?

Chris

Only '70 and '71 had the webbing, '72 and later had springs. I imagine you could add some webbing to reinforce the springs.

Actually, the early '72s came with webbing. I had a 240Z manufactured in 1/72 and it had the webbing. I bought a couple of seats from a later '72 (July or August, I believe) for a '72 I sold last Fall. I like the springs a lot more -better support, etc. The only problem is when you install the new foam on the spring seats, it doesn't leave you with much headroom, even with all the spacers removed. On my latest project (a '71) I'm going to use new webbing and new foam on the original '70- '71 frames.

Actually, the early '72s came with webbing. I had a 240Z manufactured in 1/72 and it had the webbing. I bought a couple of seats from a later '72 (July or August, I believe) for a '72 I sold last Fall. I like the springs a lot more -better support, etc. The only problem is when you install the new foam on the spring seats, it doesn't leave you with much headroom, even with all the spacers removed. On my latest project (a '71) I'm going to use new webbing and new foam on the original '70- '71 frames.

Hey Steve, how tall are you? I am considering replacing the foam in my 73 and I'm worried about just this. Things are already kind of tight in there at 6'2", especially with a sunroof. If this doesn't work out, I might try shaving the foam a bit. I'd rather not cut up the car to lower the mounts if I can help it.