IGNORED

Light flywheel

guy_geo

Well.. It's spring time, the Z will be out in 3 weeks..

I have an intriguing noise... on start-up.

The previous owner installed a racing flywheel with an integrated ring gear.. But the starter and that flywheel do not match perfectly well.. so the noise is bad...kinda of a horrfic grinding noise:finger:

I'm confronted with 2 options..to drop the transmission and fix the problem...

1. Buy a new race flywheel... but that will not solve the bad matching starter-flywheel (and that part is pricey...)

2. Put back the OE flywheel (that I can have polished and lighten up at a machine shop), and put a new ring gear solving my awful noise on start-up...

What would you do???

Edited by guy_geo

Try shimming the starter to get a better alignment with the ring gear. Sometimes it only takes a few thousandths to get it right.

Hi John:

Would you be shimming the starter -out - by putting the shims under each of the two bolds? Or would you be putting a shim under on lip of the starter, between the two bolts? Or what????

I got used to shimming starters on the Chevy's.. never had to do that on a Datsun.

thanks,

Carl B.

You put the shims where they need to be.. :-)

What I've done is put Dychem on the ring gear and then run the starter for a couple compete turns of the flywheel. Then carefully look at the wipe pattern on the ring gear and adjust from there. Lots of trial and error.

Edited by John Coffey