IGNORED

Hope you guys dont hate me after this

carguyinok

As many of you know I just did a motor swap in my 72 240Z. Odds are you also know that things went VERY VERY wrong inside the motor I installed :angry::cry::tapemouth

Well, at this point in the game I want my 240Z driver for the summer yesterday!!!!!!

Now I have been buying and putting aside parts for the 73 project for well over 5 years now. Keep in mind thats a V8 conversion parts list. Now those parts are going in the 72 I just picked up and have been posting photos of. Yes, it's getting my 73 corvette 350 with the short turbo 350 transmission. Now please understand it's only because I have EVERYTHING but the mount kit and speedo cable sitting in the same work bay as the car. Also, I hope you all can cut me alittle slack because I am planning on going back with the Nissan driveline after I take my time on building up my own L28. With that in mind I am going to do my best in doing as little damage as I can with the conversion. I think the only real damage I will be doing is cutting lower part of the hood latch from the fire wall. Other then that I plan on keeping everything else just as it sits. This way I can go back once I am done with my L28. Then it can go back home with the 4 speed.

But for now I am doing the V-8 swap. One of the major reasons for this is that it's all new!!!! I am talking the whole vette motor is still in the boxs with the raw block sitting and waiting for me too put it togather. New everything bearings rings pistons rods crank oil pump you name it and its new in a box waiting. I even have a shifter that can mount in the stock 4 speed hole without hurting anything. So, yes I am doing whats hated here and I do understand why! But hope you can also understand it's not for keeps on this one and plans are on going back after awhile. But, for now I wana drive my 240Z :love: With money being tight at this time that means I must use what I have for that ta happen. I hope you all can understand how that works. But please know it will return all nissan one day. :D Untill then I still want my Z wheel time.

Nothing vrong in bolt on/off upgrades after my opinion as long as it is bolt on/off when converting it back to original.

What is the actual problem with you L28, except of the cam, is the block / head cracked, have you drained the oil? if so poor it up in a clear jug, that will give you an idea of how much water there is in the oil when it seperate.

When you put that motor in storage, did it then have anti freze to protect against corrosion, or were it w/o water and dry.

I'm not saying don't go V8, but it doesn't have to be that expensive to get that L28 up running.

Chris

Excuses, excuses, excuses......:rolleyes: If you wanna go V8 just do it! You don't need our blessing or forgiveness. By the time you get a custom drive shaft, motor mounts, tranny mount, throttle linkage, radiator, and hood latch solution figured out, it probably would have been cheaper to just fix the cam in the L28, but then you wouldn't get to try the V8 would ya? LOL

Excuses, excuses, excuses......:rolleyes: If you wanna go V8 just do it! You don't need our blessing or forgiveness. By the time you get a custom drive shaft, motor mounts, tranny mount, throttle linkage, radiator, and hood latch solution figured out, it probably would have been cheaper to just fix the cam in the L28, but then you wouldn't get to try the V8 would ya? LOL

LOLROFL Thats what I am saying tho. I have it all but the mounting kit and speedo cable. Heck as far as that gose I dont even need the speedo cable anymore because I have a small GPS unit.... For the drive shaft it's just a u-joint kit with the trans I have. So here is my total parts list for what I dont have.

Set Back Plate, Passenger Side, aluminum, 1/2" thick, $25 Set Back Plate, Driver Side, aluminum, 1/2" thick, $30

Transmission Crossmember, $65

Drive Shaft Adapter Flange. Specify 2.25 inch pilot, or 2.0" pilot $60

So, under $200 in parts and I have it done and ready ta go anywhere I please.

I know I could half azz this L28 for about the same price. But thats just what it would be a HALF AZZ rebuild :ermm: With as much metal that came off that cam it's gona take a total rebuild for me too feel safe on any road trip with that motor.

I know I dont need anyones blessing for this. More then anything I wanted it clear that my plans are for going back with the L28. But, once I get done with this L28 let just say it's gona be on the warm side ROFL

"Nothing vrong in bolt on/off upgrades after my opinion as long as it is bolt on/off when converting it back to original.

What is the actual problem with you L28, except of the cam, is the block / head cracked, have you drained the oil? if so poor it up in a clear jug, that will give you an idea of how much water there is in the oil when it seperate.

When you put that motor in storage, did it then have anti freze to protect against corrosion, or were it w/o water and dry.

I'm not saying don't go V8, but it doesn't have to be that expensive to get that L28 up running.

Chris "

Ya, the motor didnt have any water in it. Plus I had cut up a sponge and soaked it with oil for filling the open ports on the motor.

I did pull some milk from the pan and it was a neat cream white with metal flake. It looked alot like the paint for my buddy's Harley so...

With that much metal in the oil metals gotta be in the oil pump, bearings and, rings. So I cant just do a flush and cam with my fingers crossed. :cry: IMO that would be the real waste of money. But Thank You on the advice and words guys. I just know that the L28 I want is gona be alittle more then even $500. at this point.

So, anyone looking ta get outa any extra HP internals for a L28 PLEASE drop me a line. My guess is about 1-2 years on the L28 build. :disappoin

So, I beg that yall dont bash me real hard & see how it came about. Also understand it's not gona be a butcher job :stupid: Thats what the 73 is for ROFL

That swap is not as easy as it sounds. The car is not designed to handle the torque. Make sure you upgrade all systems to keep it safe, brace the frame or the torque will cause body stress, and upgrade the brakes, going fast is great, but being able to stop it in time is even better. As with any large project that uses non stock products together, there will be lots of unseen unthought of little problems to deal with. Thats why the web is full of half done V8 swap project cars. Do your research, move slowly, think things through, or you will end up with a lot of money spent and a car that still doesnt run and is in pieces.

Thank you on the advice. I have been doing my homework for a few years now. We have a custom shop that I am working out of. With that we have done ALOT of this type of work. I understand just what your saying and thank you for bringing it up. The vette motor I have is new and nothing more then a stock 73 vette motor with a warm cam. So it should only be around 350HP if it's lucky. With that I dont think it's gona rip this Z apart. I know there are a few L28's putting out #'s like that so... I was planing on a brace or two off the bat but nothing I cant take off without hurting anything. Plus we are twisting up a roll bar with some brace work.

I had been thinking about the upgrade on the brakes and will do that after awhile. But with my guys at the shop working with me I know it's gona get done ASAP.

Again TY on the warning and words of advice.

It's not like I am going with a 700hp monster motor like the drag car we have.

DSCF0773_0222.jpg

Jeffsphonepics-024.jpg

Edited by carguyinok

Looks like a fun project to me. I'd be interested in more build photos. One thing that has occurred to me when seeing these builds is that it would have been cheeper to just buy a Corvette but thats not it is it? I've heard a Dodge 318/360 is also an easy install. Good luck with your fun project

Well, I did a mock-up tonight with an extra 350 block that I have and bolted the trans up on that. I was VERY shocked that just setting the stock motor mounts for the chevy over the Z mounts the motor was near in place. The JTR kit was showing set back motor mounts. I will disagree with this one off the bat. I only see going back making far more headaches then it's worth. If I move it forward 2" I can keep my hood latch the way it is. Plus I gain enough room to use the stock Z transmission mounting holes.

It would mean going all electric for the cooling fan. But that was my plan from the start being I have three at this point. Plus buy going forward I can keep everything the same under the hood. This way once the L28 is done it should be just as easy bolting it back in its home. Just as if the V8 swap had never happened.

No, it's not less buying a vette and starting from there. I am a corvette nut case and have had 6 at this point. My vettes have been 1961, 1972, 1974, 1984, 1988.5, and a 1992. One thing I can tell you is they are all tanks. Sure alot of fun with HP for playing. But everyone of them was just a heavy tank that had high insurance rates ta boot.

I am so looking forward to this light little Z car with the raw HP on tap.

240Z126.jpg

240Z123.jpg

240Z127.jpg