IGNORED

Installing Emblems- Drilling through paint

lm71z

I would bet that you are missing the clips that mount on the emblem posts. The Nissan part # is 63845-18000 clip-tubular. Nissanparts.cc has them for $1.38 each. Check with your local dealer. He can get them for you with this part #.

-Mike

Do the clips you're referring to look like this?

f7_1_b.JPG

If that's what you referring to, those clips were on the emblem when I pushed the emblem through the holes.

Are these clips supposed to come with the hood emblem?

9e70_1.JPG

Do the clips you're referring to look like this?

f7_1_b.JPG

If that's what you referring to, those clips were on the emblem when I pushed the emblem through the holes.

Are these clips supposed to come with the hood emblem?

9e70_1.JPG

Yes, the first picture is the clips I was referring to. I have not seen the clips in the second picture used to mount any emblems.

If your emblems don't fit tightly with the post clips attached I would guess the holes may be been enlarged at some point.

Carl, if you use the emblem clips with silicon or RTV maybe that would help with the rusting issue, or maybe even paint the clips before using them?

-Mike

Also, this is a bit off topic, but on HLS30-00210 I was having a really tough time removing the emblems from the rear hatch. I took off the inner hatch panel and the emblems were held in with the same rectangular clips that hold the center emblems on hubcaps. You could tell they were original to the car and had never been touched. I had never seen that before. All the others I have seen were mounted with the tubular clips pictured above. Have you seen that before Carl?

-Mike

I took the hood emblem off because the RTV adhesive/sealer I used was definitely not holding the emblem securely in place. I bought Clear Silicone RTV Adhesive/sealer. Since I know now that it doesn't work, what kind of adhesive should I buy? I want to get it right this time because I don't want to chip anymore paint off from around the holes on the hood. Should I even be using any kind of silicone adhesive? Silicone doesn't seem to adhere to the paint very well at all.

Edited by lm71z

If the silicone RTV adhesive is not sticking to the paint well, you might try some wax and grease remover in the area around the holes. You mentioned considering using JB Weld, but then edited that out. I would definitely NOT recommend that, as it would be permanent. Some people also use some 3M double sided emblem tape if they break off mounting posts, so you could give that a try. Is your emblem metal or plastic?

-Mike

It's plastic. Were they originally metal?

Early ones were metal. I'm not sure when they transitioned to plastic. If you were mounting a metal hood emblem I would make certain it fit tightly and the double sided tape alone may not be enough to hold it. I think the tape should work fine for a plastic one and a plastic one would do less damage if it ever does come off.

-Mike

The double sided tape seems like a good idea, but wouldn't it eventually lose its grip to the paint after water getting underneath the emblem? Does anyone know of any other adhesive that would secure the emblem tightly to the hood? I realized that the RTV adhesive I bought says in fine letters- "Does not adhere to paint".

Edited by lm71z

I took the hood emblem off because the RTV adhesive/sealer I used was definitely not holding the emblem securely in place. I bought Clear Silicone RTV Adhesive/sealer. Since I know now that it doesn't work, what kind of adhesive should I buy? I want to get it right this time because I don't want to chip anymore paint off from around the holes on the hood. Should I even be using any kind of silicone adhesive? Silicone doesn't seem to adhere to the paint very well at all.

"Silicon" and/or the man made "silicone" products are only one ingredient in any particular end use product.

Don't confuse RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanizing) synthetic rubber products - be they silicon based or not - presented as Adhesive/Sealers with Silicone Cements/Adhesives. In the case of the RTV Sealants - the "adhesive" part means that the RTV itself adheres to the surfaces that form the interfaces needing "sealing". RTV's vulcanize when brought to room temperatures and exposed to air. They are NOT glues nor cements intended to strongly bond two different parts together.

The products such as Electric Products Inc. produce - by the brand name of Automotive GOOP, Household GOOP, Plumbers GOOP are silicon based Adhesives/Cements. They ARE formulated to bond things together, while remaining pliable over their lifetime. They dry by evaporation of the solvents that keep them semi-liquid. So far, I haven't found anything that stuff won't bond together with a very strong bond.

FWIW,

Carl B.