IGNORED

Suspension issues. Car Height/Tire Angle.

mikewags

I noticed that my back right tire is slightly turned inwards. Also, the back right part of the car is also lower than the left side. I think the shocks are on their way out but I am not sure. I really don't know much about suspension.

Could this be bad suspension, or just an alignment necessary. Would you suggest DIY for replacing shocks/springs?

I can take pictures if necessary.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Edited by mikewags

There are a couple of possibilities Check the spindle pin bushings . If it is bad, this could cause the car to lower some. Also the rear wheel can move forward and back . There is no alignment adjustment on the early Zs. The other thing it could be is the spring it's self is sagging. But check the spindle pin bushing first. Do you have a service manual, or How To Restore your Z ? If not Motorsports has the How To book . I highly recommend it. Gary

When Gary mentioned 'early Z' in this context, he meant all S30s - '70-78. As he noted, there is no rear alignment adjustments on any 240/260/280Z.

But I'm thinking the other way. The 3" gap on the left rear sounds huge to me, even for a 280Z. I'm wondering if the LR strut might be totally or partially seized and holding that corner high. Have you tried bouncing each rear corner by hand?

I think you have two different problems. The toe problem can be a bent control arm or a poorly machined strut with the spindle pin bore drilled at an angle. Seen that one on hybridz.org a few times. The actual amount of rubber in the spindle pin bushings is pretty small so it would have to be GONE to really affect toe significantly. You can put a prybar in there and see if you get excessive movement, but I'd be much more inclined to think that the inner rear control arm bushings would be the culprit, as they have a lot more rubber that may have degraded.

The fender height issue could be a number of things, but unevenly sagged springs or a rear quarter that was poorly fixed at one time and welded on too high or low would be my first choices.

Time to put that bad boy up an jack stands. Remove the rear tires....

Study the lower spindle bushing and the control arms for damage.

If they look ok.... Springs are in your future.... An if you do the springs

you should replace the struts and bump stop.

If you have the tools + a spring compressor it's a afternoon project.

Make sure to loosen the top strut nut a bit prior to unloading the suspension.

A floor jack helps this process a lot.

Jay

Not just a Z - zdisease

I had an alignment done less than 6 months ago, so I will be taking the car back and getting at least a diagnosis at that time.

I had a friend get in the drivers seat, and the weight evened out the height of the back, although I don't know if that's normal or the way its supposed to be. I read a post on here saying that some people tweak the car that way to account for the drivers' weight.