IGNORED

Transmission blown?

rebelgt

i Have a 78 280z with a 5 speed. the the car stalls and dosnt move in Reverse and it moves forward in nuetral. im pulling the trans tomorrow dose anyone have any idea what is wrong? also can i put a 4 speed trans in instead and if so what type of modifucations will i have to make? thanks in advance.

the car runs in 2nd, 3rd, 4th ,5th. not sure why its stalling but no matter how much throttle u give it it stalls if u dont engage the clutch or bring it out of reverse. it gose into gears alittle hard and its a littile stiff in nuetral.

Edited by rebelgt
missed answer to question

Still the problem with reverse?

The shifter being hard to move now after replacing the slave would seem to indicate to me that the clutch is not disengaging, but I am in no way an expert far from it actually. Try bleeding the system again and ensure that there is enough throw on the new slave to fully disengage the clutch. If i remember correctly there are 2 types of slaves one that is adjustable on the early 240z series 1 cars and the non adjustable type that replaced it.

hey i blead the system again and it still will stall in reverse wont go in 3rd or 4th and goes foreward in nuetral i just started pulling the trans.

Sounds to me like a selector fork problem. The roll pins in the selectors have been known to break causing the tranny trying to get two gears at a time.