IGNORED

Suggested Maintenance on Half Shafts

Jack T

Hello everyone!

I have been purchasing parts to bring my suspension back into shape... KYB struts, energy suspension urethane bushing kit, rear wheel bearings, etc. I figured while I have the half shafts disconnected that I would go ahead and replace all four half shaft U-joints. Is there any maintenance of the half shaft that I should do while I have the chance? Best that I can tell, the rubber boots look to be intact. I have not seen any threads that addressed half shaft maintenance.

Jack T

The FSM states an interval for dissasembly and maintenance. I would suspect that very few people have ever taken theirs apart and done this. If you wanted to be really anal you could disassemble, clean and re-grease. Having a driveshaft balance shop check them out and balance them would be best. (Ask your local speed shop who does driveshaft balancing)

If you had lots of $$ to burn you could have the male end sent off for building up and then ground to a close tolerance for a good mate with the female. Good luck finding a shop to do this for a decent price though.

2c

Jim