IGNORED

Cooling Fan Original Color

JohnnyO

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

It is a metal fan from an early series 1. I can clearly see the white-ish paint under the poorly painted orange. I am getting ready to blast and prime this tomorrow and was wondering what color to finish it with.

John

Mine is not in the car right now. (I use a lighter plastic fan for my normal driving.) It is a very creamy color. I wouldn't call it white, more of a very light cream color. The color in the picture looks fairly accurate on my laptop.

post-8596-14150805393474_thumb.jpg

Thanks Arne. That is very similar to what I see when I sand off the orange in the thin areas. I wonder if I could find something similar in a rattle can?

Well, I guess I will see if I get another response that has an "exact" color, if not, I will be shopping at 8 tomorrow.

Thanks,

John

Hi, John.... I had one of those in my hands yesterday, and the color is as Arne and his picture describe it. Unfortunately I cannot help with the color code, but you should easily find a suitable color on the shelf. That should look nice when you are done blasting and refinishing. Show us some before & after pictures.

What media are you using?

I am going to "peel back" the orange and see if I can get it color matched. I will let you guys know the result.

John, I will post pictures but am not sure of the correct media. I would guess that the blades of the fan are made of something like galvanized steel and don't know how fragile that would be. I have coal slag and glass beads. Any recommendations?

John

IMO, coal slag would remove the paint best. Be conservative and as equal as possible in all areas to make sure you don't remove too much metal in any one place so as to throw off the balance. You should be just fine as long as you don't focus hard on bare metal for an extended length of time. Just hit it to get the paint off and make the metal look nice and move on. (Remove all grease/junk before blasting.) You should end up with a nice surface that's ready for primer. (After blasting I usually spray & wipe down with mineral spirits prior to painting to assure a clean surface.)