tire size on 280z - Wheels & Brakes - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

tire size on 280z

Featured Replies

I have a 78 280z with 14 in alloy rims.. Can i use a wider tire than the 70 series.. Would like at least 60 series.. Please help?

We need more data. How wide are your rims? Is your car lowered?

  • Author

Car is stock.. Factory 4 spoke rims.. The size now is 195/70/r14.. Hope this helps..

Edit - Bad info. Post deleted.

When you say 'Factory 4 spoke rims' do you mean these?

(Arne must have forgotten about these)

17zlgo.jpg

I have 2256014s on them with no problems.

Edited by sblake01

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

P225/60R14 is the same outside diameter, and ought to fit so long as the wheel has an offset of around 10mm or there about. The tire and rim association yearbook lists the minimum with for that size at 6.0 inches. Check the inside of the wheels because normally the width and offset values are cast into the wheel.

Bear in mind that these wheels are 5.5" wide and I've been told the same thing about them as Walter said, that is that 2256014s should only be mounted on rims that are minimum 6" wide. These tires and rims have been on my car over 5 years and I've had no problems with them.

When you say 'Factory 4 spoke rims' do you mean these?

(Arne must have forgotten about these)

Yes, Arne had a brain lapse. My bad.
I have 2256014s on them with no problems.
P225/60R14 is the same outside diameter, and ought to fit so long as the wheel has an offset of around 10mm or there about. The tire and rim association yearbook lists the minimum with for that size at 6.0 inches. Check the inside of the wheels because normally the width and offset values are cast into the wheel.
The wheels Stephen shows are 5.5" wide. As such they are "technically" too narrow for a 225 wide tire. But as Stephen shows, they will fit, although some of the potential handling benefit may not be evident.

Some background - A "60 series" is not necessarily wider than a "70 series" tire. The "series" is more properly called the "aspect ratio" which is one part of what determines the tire's height and width.

For example - your current 195/70-14 size means this: the approximate overall width (not tread width but at the widest part of the sidewall bulge) is 195 mm. The sidewall height is 70% of the overall width. The tire fits on a 14 inch rim.

So a 195/60-14 tire - for example - will NOT be wider than what you now have, but will be a bunch shorter. To determine a tire's true size, you need to consider both the width AND the aspect ratio.

Back to the 5.5" wide wheels - a better size for that size rim would be 215/60-14, but if you do the math you'll see that size is shorter than stock.

  • Author

Hey.. Thanks alot.. Looks like i might have to go with different rims..just looking for a wider look..

How wide a look do you want? Modern wide or period correct wide? 22560s do work on those rims all the other comments notwithstanding. I wouldn't go out and by new tires and rims just for the promise of a "potential handling benefit". I don't race the car, I just drive it but they do handle better that the stock size tires. But, like I said, no autocross here, or anything like that.

I agree with Stephen, if all you're after is a "wider look", I'd have a hard time justifying a different set of rims, considering the relative rarity and "correct-ness" of the rims you have now.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.