IGNORED

1978 280z bumper question

mlaw7

Hey everyone,

The body shop just reinstalled the bumpers on my '78 280z but when I was looking through one of the parts buckets I saw these four parts.

Although the bumpers seem to be solidly mounted, I thought some or all of these are part of the bumper mounting system.

Either way, can anyone tell me what they are and where they're supposed to go?

Thanks!

P.S. I thought I'd throw in a couple of photos of the work in progress ...

post-15707-14150805201713_thumb.jpg

post-15707-14150805202338_thumb.jpg

post-15707-14150805202926_thumb.jpg

post-15707-14150805203512_thumb.jpg

Memory's a bit fuzzy, but I believe that the two small pieces in your picture are part of the mount for the body piece that mounts in the space between the front bumper and grill. A long, thin, body-colored "filler" piece.

The big piece looks like a shield for a bumper shock. May be a heat shield for the driver-side rear bumper shock, but I'm not sure...

Factory manual pic would be a good idea :).

Memory's a bit fuzzy, but I believe that the two small pieces in your picture are part of the mount for the body piece that mounts in the space between the front bumper and grill. A long, thin, body-colored "filler" piece.

The big piece looks like a shield for a bumper shock. May be a heat shield for the driver-side rear bumper shock, but I'm not sure...

Yes! That's it! It is called a sight shield. I have one in good condition if anyone is interested. Lots of 280Z's no longer have them.

I'd put it back on if I were you. (Unless you're saying you have a spare) I would think that something designed to keep the exhaust heat from boiling the fluid in the bumper shock would be a good thing. I debated not re-installing it when I did my car but my buddy, who is a long time Z mechanic, advised me that it will ruin the shock causing it to collapse without proper dampening in the event of an accident.

Thanks - that sounds right. Unfortunately I don't have a spare.

I'm going to have the body shop put it back on as well as the two pieces for the front trim.

The fourth looks like some kind of a spacer or perhaps a shim? Since they were all together with the other bumper parts, I'm thinking it's probably bumper-related.

Once I find out what it is and where it goes I'll post it here unless someone else nails it first.

Thanks again!

mdbrandy and conedodger are correct.

I looked at a '75 280z and my burgundy '78 280z yesterday. The big piece is a shield that mounts over the driver's side rear bumper shock by the antenna drain tube.

The two small pieces are the lower support brackets for the front trim piece and secure it to the two front bumper shocks. One end fits into a slot in the top part of the bracket and the other end is held by a screw.

Still not sure about the fourth piece though.

I took a few photos and will post them later for a reference.

Thanks again!

Here's a photo of the heat/sight shield mounted over the rear driver's side bumper shock near the antenna drain tube.

The other two are the small pieces that secure the front trim piece to the bumper shocks.

post-15707-14150805258687_thumb.jpg

post-15707-14150805259289_thumb.jpg

post-15707-14150805259863_thumb.jpg