IGNORED

1970 Ball joints replacement

sublime5225

I need to replace the ball joints on my 1970 240z and i was just wondering if there was any advice i could get from anyone who's done it or knows how to, i went to order the part and they asked me if i wanted 14mm or 11mm, is there a difference because of your or what? Anyways any help or advice will be greatly appreciated!

Earlier cars used the smaller stud ball joints. Not certain which month they changed from the small to the larger. I know that they used the smaller through at least 6/70 (as that is what a7dz's car is), but had changed by 4/71 (as those were what the steering knuckles I got for his car came from).

The smaller ball joints are supposed to be difficult, if not impossible to find. If your car came with the smaller studs and you can't find the correct ones, you'll need a pair of steering knuckles from a later car.

What is your car's production date?

I got lucky on my 70' as it used the larger style ball joints, as do most Z's. But just like Arne said, if the ball joints are the smaller style, just swap out the steering knuckle for the later style. I only add to this forum cause I just dealt with this on my 74' 260Z.

post-4921-14150805082351_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150805083046_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150805084026_thumb.jpg

post-4921-141508050849_thumb.jpg

The change from 11mm to 14mm occurred during the 07/70 production.

Direct fit 11mm ball joints are

CARQUEST K9011

MCQUAY NORRIS FA2026

NAPA/UNITED NCP260-1173

AC DELCO 45D2043

Both the MOOG K9011 and Beck Arnley 1011089 lists the part as an 11mm application but their actual measurement fits only the 14mm steering knuckles.

Please let me know if your research uncovers any additional 11mm applications.

Keith

Edited by zed2

I have to replace the ball joints in my 6/70 240Z. I confirmed that Napa does in fact carry the 11 mm ball joints, (part #NCP260-1173). Has anyone used these parts? Will I have to replace the steering knuckle as well? Any information is much appreciated.

DMC-Z,

If your 06/70 240Z has the original ball joint and steering knuckle combination (presuming no prior owner had the combination changed out during a previous service) then the NCP260-1173 should fit your steering knuckle.

You may want to measure the 11mm shaft of the NCP260-1173 at the NAPA parts counter prior to accepting delivery to ensure that NAPA packaged and shipped you the correct part.

Keith

Good point about the PO swapping out the parts during its life. I supposed my best bet is to tear everything apart and measure the shaft before I order the part through NAPA, just to confirm it's the 11mm original. Once it arrives and I accept delivery, it's mine, right or wrong part.

Thanks for the input!