IGNORED

ZX alternator?

ramsesosirus

Hello there

I am probabaly needing a new alternator and battery for my 76 280Z. I believe these had the external regulator. I have heard I can use an 80-83 280ZX alternator with no mods except for the old regulator wiring? Is this correct? When I searched for both car parts, both gave me a 60 amp alternator.

Also who is the guy on the site that sells the adapter piece or does a store sell it?

Is this upgrade worth it?

Thanks

While the improvement for a 280Z is less than for a 240Z, it is still worthwhile, especially if you need an alternator anyway. The adapters you mention won't fit a 280Z, and really aren't needed anyway. All you need there is a couple of small jumper wires to replace the external regulator.

IIRC, there is also a diode that is required in the circuit, other wise you wouldn't be able to turn the car off! There have been posts on this issue! The diode may be purchased from any electronics store.

Tom