into paint shop but what color?? - Open Discussions - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

into paint shop but what color??

Featured Replies

hi guys. i know this subject has been done to death but a few ideas may sway my final color choice in my 240z restoration.

let me start with my accessories which will determine look.

15 x 8 watanabe gunmetal/machined lip.

msa airdam with no ducts (jdm style not bre)

msa carbon fibre bumpers (but o.e chrome ones still in superb condition so could still use).

i know it's my color my car scenario but i haven't seen that many in the flesh. a car in a photo on the web can be alot different to the real deal.so those who have been to a few meets/shows could help me out.

here's my short list (at the moment!) with pics in order.

honda championship white (could always powder coat my wheels fully and i think would suit carbon fibre bumpers)

phoenix bmw yellow (this one has carbon bumper and same again may look good with all black or bronze watanabe's)

920 gold with gloss black hood (love this photo but same again have never seen this color on a zed and not sure solid color would go with carbon bumpers)

last pic is my brown 240 with trial fit of watanabe wheels

i know some you guys would love a chance of a complete makeover and have seen colors that really caught your eye and some of you just love your cars as they are. i'm wanting something that's not going date quickly so candy colors probably a no no.

your thoughts please.

post-14113-14150804731126_thumb.jpg

post-14113-14150804731383_thumb.jpg

post-14113-14150804731677_thumb.jpg

post-14113-1415080473186_thumb.jpg

I cast my vote for white. I had mine painted pearl white - a Mitsubishi pearl that, as my bodyshop man said, would not yellow with age. Good luck with your choice! Bill

I'd go with a yellow of some sort, probably not metallic, and not too greenish. Definitely not the original Lime color, not with the dark wheels and bumpers. The early 919 yellow wouldn't be too bad with the dark trim, nor would some of the later more vibrant yellows.

Just my opinion, but to me yellow cars with dark trim are great looking...

Personally, I'm partial to a Yellow color... :)

Personally, I'm partial to a Yellow color... :)
I knew you'd say that, Doug! LOL
S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

You could do worse than either of the colors on Mike or beandip's cars. This picture doesn't show them as bright as they are in real life, both colors are pretty vibrant.

DSC_0486.jpg

I love the BMW E36 M3 yellow!!!
Ooh, good call! Dakar Yellow...

post-8596-1415080473421_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150804734527_thumb.jpg

  • Author

thanks for the input guys.

we have a dakar bmw yellow already here in u.k. (first pic)

it looks nice but i prefer the lighter yellow like on this one from your gallery on here.

post-14113-14150804734666_thumb.jpg

post-14113-14150804759528_thumb.jpg

Hmmm. I thought Dakar was a lighter yellow. That is a bit too vibrant. What about the Volvo 850R yellow. That is a nice color.

  • Author

hi zero. love your look with the orange and black! so cool.

what orange is that? o.e color?

Thanks!! When I bought the car in May I was planning on taking her down to metal and going with the celery green. After I saw it in person, I loved it!! It is very close to the OE color. This color is called spice orange.

Here is that 850R color

850R.jpg

Edited by Zero Z

  • Author

thanks zero. lovely orange mate.

arne do you think i could get away with the original 919 yellow combined with the modern finish of carbon fibre on bumpers??

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.