IGNORED

Muffler/exhaust systems

ajmcforester

I'm restoring a 71 240z with some early mild 70's style mods. One thing I'm looking for are ideas on the exhaust system, the factory system is a little quieter than I like. I'm was thinking of going with over under glasspacks, but was wondering what other types of setups that might have been used in the 70's does anyone have some ideas or pictures?

Obviously the dual over-under glasspacks is very period correct, although they can be louder than some people like. About the only currently available commercial system that is similar to the period commercial systems (such as Stebro, Ansa, Daytona, etc.) is the Monza - which is a 2.0" mandrel bent, dual muffler system.

Actually, my car still has a locally built system that the original owner had installed many years ago. Mine is a small diameter (1.75") single tube, with a single 24" glasspack in the transmission tunnel, and that's it. Mine is still fairly quiet, but it has a very smooth, mellow exhaust note. Not pretty, but it sounds pretty nice.

If no one makes what I end up wanting I'll make it including mufflers. I have a motorcycle shop that wants to help, with almost every tool I might want.

On my first 240z I had a one into two straight Magnaflow muffler in the rear on a 2.25" exhaust, looked great. The sound outside of the car was mellow and as loud as stock. It did have a noise problem it had low vibrations below what you can hear, you would barely feel it, but it would set off every car alarm. My first time in Philly with the car I was setting off every car on each side of the road, block after block.

My current car is going to be more vintage style the stainless steal muffler looked great, but it will not give that vintage look. Also I'm wanting to use the stock downpipe.

On the over under glasspack I'm also interested in how they where fastened together and dimensions used.

Also in the 70's what size glass pack would people have used in the rear and/or the center of the car?(demetions, color, was Cherry bomb and Thrush red back then?)

And what other types of resonators or mufflers that would have been used in the 70'S?

If you are interested in a not so obvious stainless steel system, see my posts at the following two links. This system was custom made using Borla components by a eastern PA restoration shop.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31263&highlight=stainless+steel

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32026&highlight=msa+exhaust

2 1/2" exhaust systems with turbo mufflers were commonly installed on Z cars in the 70's. I have all the components for a 2 1/2" stainless steel Borla system for sale. If you are interested, see the classifieds or send me a PM. I'm located in your area.

Fixitman