IGNORED

Is this normal for the carbs...

mally002

Over the last few days I have cleaned out the tank and lines, fuel filter, oil etc and went for the first start just a moment ago. The car fired right, but took 8-10 tries before it was ideling.

I have not attached the air filter yet so I noticed when it was running gas was coming out of the area I circled in Red on the carbs. Is this normal? I fully admit I'm still learning on the mechanical side so I'm not sure if this is a normal function or if the gas should be going somewhere else. I was concerned that if the exhaust got hot all that dripping would help remove my eyebrows.....:stupid:

Thanks for any input.

Randy

PS, it's the 73 I just brought home on Thursday.

post-13312-14150804288417_thumb.jpg

Fuel coming out from any area other than going into the motor is probably not good. Sticky floats or maybe just typical for flattops like those.

I just took my SU round tops off my car if you are interested. They also have the ITG filter. Put triple SKs on since it is only a track car.

The SUs gave me 168 rwhp on the dyno so they are running OK for only being tuned by an amatuer.

Send me a PM if interested and we can work out a price. It will be cheap compared to what you might be used to.

Tom

Anybody else interested can also send me a PM....

Doubtful typical for flattops. The needle/valve mechanism to which the float attaches is stuck open (dirty needle valve, needle valve seat, binding of the float mechanism, damaged float etc) allowing the float bowl to fill above the level of the nozzle in the venturi. Or (per the 1973 FSM EF-18):

-Excess fuel pump pressure

-Fuel pump drawing in air

Hey Randy - I'll send you an eyebrow plucker if you are truely in need. The picture makes think of the word "flooded".

The one I have, has SUs substituted and they are not pretty (braizing and welding) - I sent Tom a message about his.

Sorry for not being helpful, but this may help - you can get a copy of the 73 FSM on line for a minor Paypal donation and it has a section on the flattops. You should be able to find the link in search. If not I'll dig it up.

Doubtful typical for flattops. The needle/valve mechanism to which the float attaches is stuck open (dirty needle valve, needle valve seat, binding of the float mechanism, damaged float etc) allowing the float bowl to fill above the level of the nozzle in the venturi.

Although I have a '72 with round tops, I would guess it's what xray said. I just had a similar issue whereby the float wasn't closing the needle valve, causing spillage from the over flow tube/outlet.