IGNORED

Replaced Caliper - Shrieking Brake

mikewags

Got done today bleeding the brakes (properly) --- Since done, it does brake better, although not as good as it can be i think. I've heard the Master Cylinder on these s30's suck; and better to replace them with the 280ZX MC ... Is this true?

Or it can just be my drums need to be addressed/aligned...

All in all, at least its braking better ATM.

I fought with the brakes on my car for months because the pedal was perpetually soft. Eventually I just gave up and replaced every part that I wasn't sure was in perfect condition, from the master cylinder and the wheel cylinders, to the rear drums. When I got it all back together, they work perfectly. I wish I could give you an easier answer...

By the way, the first time I installed pads on the front of my car I forgot to install shims at all. Talk about shrieking brakes... Lesson learned, the hard way as usual.

• 1 year later...

i bought the car that once was mike wags and i'm having the same problems he was even though the pads still look great and as do the brakes . they squeal under light to moderate pressure but its gone under heavy braking . suggestions? thanks

• 1 month later...
Got done today bleeding the brakes (properly) --- Since done, it does brake better, although not as good as it can be i think. I've heard the Master Cylinder on these s30's suck; and better to replace them with the 280ZX MC ... Is this true?

Or it can just be my drums need to be addressed/aligned...

All in all, at least its braking better ATM.

As the others have said, this sounds like you need to adjust the drums. If you don't have the drums adjusted properly you have to push the shoes out to hit the drum before you really get a pedal, and that's why it goes down so far.

The S30 master doesn't suck. It should be fine until you go bigger with the calipers or install rear disks that use more fluid, at which point you can make a case for a larger master. Going to a larger master will require more pedal effort for the same amount of braking. It will make the pedal firmer as well. If having a hard pedal that you have to step harder on suits you, then go for it.