IGNORED

How to Install New Electrical Harness Firewall Grommet?

Oiluj

I'm ready to re-install my engine bay wiring harness. It's that last major item I need to do in the engine bay prior to engine installation.

I got a new main harness grommet, but how do I get it onto the harness?

The grommet is not that elastic and from both ends, there are fairly large plugs that have to go through it.

I'm not sure how to proceed and don't want to damage anything trying to force things. Last time I split it and glued it back together, but I know that's not the "right" way...

Will post some progress pics of the car in the next few days after the harness is installed.

Thanks in advance for your help!

You will need to carefully remove those connectors, pass the wires through the grommet and then replace the connectors. You will require the use of a tool similar to one of these, in order to release the small lock tabs which hold the wire terminals in the connectors. Any good automotive supply store should carry the proper tools.

• 3 years later...

I just went through this on a 260Z. The old grommet was shot, but not split all the way through. I used a tool from Lisle - 56500 purchased at the local O'Reilly auto supply. I numbered the plastic connector with a sharpie, labeled the wires to match with strips of masking tape, then wrapped the loose wires tight with masking tape and wrote the color of the connector on that tape. I then took some harness tape (the thin stuff with no glue) and wrapped the wires tight like the rest of the harness. I then slid the grommet on as far as I could, when it got tight, I pulled it to turn it inside out to make it easier to feed the wires, then sprayed the harness with some 409 soap to help the grommet slide along. Once I had it close to where it needed to be, I soaped it again and turned the grommet right-side-out. Then it was a matter of unwrapping the wires and re-installing in the plastic connectors. The most important part was having the correct tool for removing the connector pins.

Good luck with yours, just take your time and it will come out great!

"The grommet is not that elastic and from both ends, there are fairly large plugs that have to go through it. "

You'd be suprised!

I did it WITHOUT removong any connectors. Prepare for a battle on some of the connectors and grease things up so they slide easier, but they will go.

Edited by madkaw

Firewall connections are easy to pop out and in, and switches plug in quickly. Almost anyone can do it. You should use proper tools..

Take the plugs loose from the underside of the dash pull through to engine side. Lube up the connectors with some silicone "Tire Shine" oil and slowly squeeze them through the grommet. Clean with Circuit Cleaner, plug back into receptacle under the dash. While you are at it, replace all of your fuses and clean your fuse box - you will be right there anyway.....