IGNORED

What's up with these springs?

Well I assure you I was there and saw it with my own eyes. When we installed them we sat there and thought... What the hell???? Then we did some checking and found that the words needed to be right side up. We took them apart, put them back right side up and the ride height was about 2" lower.

Dunno what to tell ya.

Maybe they settled a lil in the brief time they were left in the car upside down

Well I assure you I was there and saw it with my own eyes. When we installed them we sat there and thought... What the hell???? Then we did some checking and found that the words needed to be right side up. We took them apart, put them back right side up and the ride height was about 2" lower.

Dunno what to tell ya.

Maybe they settled a lil in the brief time they were left in the car upside down

Maybe you installed them wrong and they weren't on the spring perches correctly or something, but upside down or right side up makes absolutely no difference to a spring.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting... I just finished the suspension (amoung other things on 240) and based on the information in this thread I ignored the recommendation of the manufacturer to install with wording right side up and installed the front springs with tight coils on top (words upside down). I also have a the front height up significantly more than the rear - in sailing terms we would say she is trimmed by the stern by 1.5".

I'm too tired to go at it again tonight, but no doubt it has to come apart again tomorrow. Gonna have to try out ZeroZ's method or get the hacksaw out.

First, did you roll the car around? If you just set the car down the suspension is pinched under the car. Rolling it around allows the control arms to move and it will sit differently after doing so. Second, did you install the front springs in the back and vice versa? Long springs should go in the rear. Third, there is absolutely positively no way that flipping the springs is going to make the ride height different. Think about it. The spring is getting the same amount of pressure at both ends, regardless of which way you have it installed. It doesn't matter if it is right side up or upside down, that one corner of the car still weighs about 600 lbs.

I had the car out for a drive (about five miles) - I was doing several jobs at once, including new carbs, ball joints/tie rod ends/bushings, some electrical stuff, partial tune up....

Anyway the springs are installed .001 in front and .202 in rear - oh new shocks too (hp) and they are low numbers in front (extenders rear), bumpstops all around.

Only thing I see is as stated earlier.

Btw - did the 280 a couple of years ago - the springs are not the same. The 280 Eibachs did not have the bunched up coils and they were shorter (to the point that I didn't need compressors for two of them - don't recall front or rear, although I believe front). 280 spring worked out fine after some buggery with the shocks.

I know it is not logical, but I just need to deal with the problem as it is. I'll try the easiest route first.

Edited by Sailor Bob

• 5 weeks later...
I believe (per previous threads) that they are installed right side up as the Eibach logo and id numbers are right side up. I figured the 6 or 7 coils touching equalled zero travel from those coils. If they are supposed to be that way I guess I don't fully understand how progressive springs work. Beandip, I've wanted the euro springs because that's the ride I'm looking for. Unfortunately I cannot find any for sale. Anyone know of a similar spring to the euro? How about the tokico hp?

FUnny, i have the same Eibach pro's and the rear has the same part number but the tight area at the top... height in back looks okay. Now, i thought about starting a new thread, but can anyone tell me why the front would be soooo high. The sping is also bowing a lot. The front spring # is 6305 001 and i read this is correct. Tight area at bottom (eibach said is correct). logo is right side up... car site really high up.. Kind of like the problem some guys were having with the ST* springs (i think i got that right). Also running tokicos (blue).

eibachproblem240z.jpg

The OP's springs have waaaay more coils touching together than I've ever seen any progressive springs have. I think they are either worn or someone heated them to drop it, probably they didn't know that springs have to settle. I can't see the suspension dropping far in normal road driving to un-bind even half of those coils.

Since logic is out the window, why not get some of those Kinoki foot pads and park your car on them? They should detoxify the springs causing the front end to lower slightly. ;)

Jim,

Thank you for my morning humor! I almost laughed out loud here at work when I read it... Next we can wave dead chikens over the fenders...