IGNORED

Pushing for more HP on the L28

mikewags

I was going over some options on how to get as much HP out of the L28. What kind of modifications to the L28 can be made without major engine work or overhaul (such as boring the engine or replacing it).

Would anyone here suggest putting in an exhaust turbo or intercooler for the L28; or would this just be a waste of time? The stock L28 hp says 170hp at 5400rpm; and I was curious if this engine could push more

than that?

I like the idea of getting as much power out of the L28 as possible; and even considered throwing a 280zx turbo in my car; although I would prefer to keep it stock, and see how much I can squeeze out of the stock hardware (engine/trans).

Edited by mikewags

To give you advice as to how much power an L28 can make is dependant on so many things and your question is so open ended, you really need to do some research for yourself on the topic. There is a HUGE amount of information available out there but what you've got to do is read some of it first. Your understanding of what's possible with these engines cannot be answered with just a few posts from random people because we all have different ideas about what works and what doesn't. Not everyone will be happy with the tradeoffs that others are prepared to live with.

Are you getting the message? I don't want to put you off asking questions like this on a forum based internet site but iIts a bit like school, the teacher will be more happy to answer your question(s) if it's obvious that you've done some of the required research first.

As a suggestion to start you off, get the excellent book "How to Modify your Nissan/Datsun OHC engine" by Frank Honsowetz and start reading!

Good luck. :)

I would argue you need to figure out how much HP you're making now, how much you think you want to make and how much you're prepared to spend.

The general idea I get is an N/A L-28 can get to 225-250 hp and be streetable, a turbo can get between 300-350 hp and be streetable. There are a ton of threads here and at hybridz.org that explore the pros and cons of a variety of options. The number one determining factor will be how much you're prepared to spend.

I was going over some options on how to get as much HP out of the L28. What kind of modifications to the L28 can be made without major engine work or overhaul (such as boring the engine or replacing it).

Would anyone here suggest putting in an exhaust turbo or intercooler for the L28; or would this just be a waste of time? The stock L28 hp says 170hp at 5400rpm; and I was curious if this engine could push more

than that?

I like the idea of getting as much power out of the L28 as possible; and even considered throwing a 280zx turbo in my car; although I would prefer to keep it stock, and see how much I can squeeze out of the stock hardware (engine/trans).

The real question is what do you want out of your car? That question can only be answered by you. When you decide what you want from the car, then you can start to plan a buildup that will achieve your goals. Just putting an engine that produces max horspower in the car will not get you there. Plus, I can assure you that an engine that produces maximum horsepower wouldnt be much fun for long. Big numbers arent really good for much other than bragging rights.

My goal is really to keep the car as stock as possible, although able to get as much performance out of it as possible. While replacing the motor with a ZX Turbo would probably double the car's HP, it would take my stock 75' and turn it into a mod-car.

It would also be another expenditure---one I really don't need, nor' want to get into at this point in time.

I will do some reading on ways to get the most out of my L28. Thanks fellas.

In your initial post you indicated that you were interested in turbocharging your car. If you want to turbocharge your car (a great idea if you want to build serious power and retain driveability), it would be far cheaper if you used the 280zx engine, fuel injection and turbo from a donor car. It still will not be inexpensive, no matter how you slice it. If you turbo charge your engine or swap a ZX turbo motor in, the car will still look the same. Im not sure what you mean by a "mod car" If you try to build serious power without a turbo, the drivablity of the car will suffer. Performance is a trade off. (performance-driveablity-inexpensive) you can have 2 of the 3..... its rare to have all 3.

My plan is to build a 280zx engine, used aftermarket forged pistons, a BIG aftermarket turbo, intercooler,fuel injection system and really sticky tires. I should have the money saved up in about 10 years......LOL

In your initial post you indicated that you were interested in turbocharging your car. If you want to turbocharge your car (a great idea if you want to build serious power and retain driveability), it would be far cheaper if you used the 280zx engine, fuel injection and turbo from a donor car. It still will not be inexpensive, no matter how you slice it. If you turbo charge your engine or swap a ZX turbo motor in, the car will still look the same. Im not sure what you mean by a "mod car" If you try to build serious power without a turbo, the drivablity of the car will suffer. Performance is a trade off. (performance-driveablity-inexpensive) you can have 2 of the 3..... its rare to have all 3.

My plan is to build a 280zx engine, used aftermarket forged pistons, a BIG aftermarket turbo, intercooler,fuel injection system and really sticky tires. I should have the money saved up in about 10 years......LOL

While I like the idea of having a bangin 280zx engine, I just think it's one of those projects that will just get strung out over a few months (leaving me w/o a drivable Z), end up costing more than I estimate; and in the end, just end up being a big risk. The chance of me getting a really solid ZX turbo is slim, considering I don't have the means to efficiently test it.

The car will be a Mod-Car in the sense that it's stock engine won't be there, along with whatever else is swapped out (wiring/exhaust/etc). The car is original in it's current state, and I don't know if tearing the engine out for HP is worth what it might do to the value of the car. I know people tend to look for originality in classic cars.

What i'd love the car to be is a great street car/sleeper at the same time. It's currently a great street car, and really does haul arse when you need it to; I guess I just like the idea of having a lot of added power to back it up (without losing some if it's drivability); you know, the typical "more power" nonsense :)

Edited by mikewags

I have your solution.... its called nitrous oxide. In the correct dosage its perfectly safe, is easy to conceal, and will not affect your normal drivability, and can beinstalled in a weekend.