IGNORED

registering a car with missing plates

khughes

Hi Guys,

does anybody know if a car (NSW if it makes a difference), can be registered again, if it doesn't have it's Australian compliance plates? it was road registered around 5 years ago.. but since then the plates were taken off to have the car painted, then they were lost..

The car is my "parts" car, but it is honestly in pretty good condition, i hate the thought that it will eventually become scrap (though it would be good for racing :) if only i had the room to store it!

I asked this question when I bought my Datto 1600 rally car in 1996. At that time, as long as the rego hadn't expired for longer than 6 months, there was not going to be a problem.

If the rego had expired for longer than 6 months, then you needed to get a letter from Nissan stating that the car is in exactly the same configuration as it left the factory when new (or something to that effect). the car also had to be shown to comply with all relevant ADR's at the time of manufacture. Basically - possible but a major PITA.

This was 12 years ago in NSW - don't know whether they've changed their tune though.

You could always turn it into a track toy :bandit:

A mechanic I knew had a valiant pacer that was missing it's compliance plate but was traced back through the numbers on the body, he ended up getting a new plate and id number from the police. The car wasn't worth what a pacer is usually worth due to lack of original tag. He went to jail for trying to steal an atm so I can't get in contact with him for more info. It was a stuff around as I remember but got sorted in the end.

It seems odd that the number came from the cops but thats how I remember it, could be wrong though.