paint off of urethane air dam - Body & Paint - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

paint off of urethane air dam

Featured Replies

Very carefull use of a heat gun is quite effective and less messy than other methods, not to mention cheaper.

Air Pressure-once you get under it, the paint will lift right off in sheets-at least old paint will. If the paint is a urethane itself (two parts or otherwise) it should stick so well you should prime, fill and paint right over it.

I would try flexing the part to see if you can break adhesion. if so, air pressure-and a little more flexing, if not clean it, scuff it, spray on some high build 2k (urethane) primer, correct any issues, and top coat!

Will

  • Author

Some of it peels off, but most is on pretty good. I was hoping there was a spray on and wash off way of doing this but i guess I'll have to start sanding. Yuck!

Check with your paint store, and ask them for Fiberglass Paint Stripper.

E

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

My Xenon Urethane front air dam was Corvetter Yellow when I got it. I got lucky cause they forgot to add a "Flex agent" and most of it was easily removed by "Flexing" the urethane to break the paint free. I then used a thin putty knife under the lifted paint. Almost all of came off except for a few tight areas.

I used a paint remover on those small spots and got the rest off. BUT BE CAREFUL. Paint stripper WILL melt Urethane if you're not careful. I used the kind that dilutes with water for a safer approach.

Good luck,

Dave.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.