IGNORED

High School Drags at PDX Raceway (PIR)

Mike

Just got this announcement:

High School Drag Racing at PIR starts up this spring!

Starting March 16, Portland International Raceway Dragstrip will host the High School Drag Racing Series, as part of the Wed. night E.T. Drag racing Series. The 11 race series is open to all registered high school students and will be contested March 16, April 16, April 30, May 14, May 28, June 11, June 25, July 9, July 30, and August 13. Each racer's finishes will count toward the Team points championship.

The High School program is the next step for participants in our Late Night Drags and Jr. Drag Racing League in their advancement in the sport, this will allow the Jr. Dragster participants to move up to a full size car and also will afford Late Night Drags racers an opportunity to advance from street legal drags to the competition structure of sportsman drag racing.

PIRD High School Drag Racing Series Rules:

All participants under 18 years of age must have a completed parental consent form on file with PIRD. Forms are available at any drag race event or www.portlandraceway.com

1. Top two finishers will represent PIRD at the 2008 E.T. Finals.

2. $25 entry fee

3. Series winner receives $200, a trophy. Runner - up receives $100 and trophy at the 2008 awards banquet.

4. Open to any licensed driver registered as a high school student during the 2008 calendar year.

5. Participants under the age of 18 must have a completed parental consent form on file with PIRD prior to first event.

6. .5 full Tree. Dial in of 7.05 - slower seconds in the 1/8 mi. No electronics unless OEM equipped.

7. No motorcycles, ATVs, dune buggies, Altereds or dragsters.

8. Exhaust: functional muffler required. Exhaust must run through the mufflers.

9. Automated shifter: prohibited unless OEM equipped.

10. Transbrake: prohibited, Nitrous Oxide: prohibited, Data Recorder: prohibited.

11. Not necessary for vehicle to be registered or insured (high school project vehicles).

I wonder if that kindf thing is like a two-edged sword; You have a venue for kids to have a legal (and safe) experience, but will it really keep the kids from racing in the streets? Kids might use the experience at the drag strip as a way to safely learn racing, and then take it to the streets any way.

JMO

I wonder if that kind of thing is like a two-edged sword; You have a venue for kids to have a legal (and safe) experience, but will it really keep the kids from racing in the streets? Kids might use the experience at the drag strip as a way to safely learn racing, and then take it to the streets any way.

JMO

I don't understand this argument. It's like the argument against sex education in schools. "If you teach it, they'll do it!" Well, the reality is that they're doing it already so let's teach them how to do it safely!

Kids race their cars. It's their nature. But these drags will give them the opportunity to do it in a controlled setting. And hopefully they'll realize that that is the best place to do it.

It was only a few years ago that I was in high school, and party to a few late night street drags (albeit I never raced myself). Growing up, my dad was a high school auto shop teacher and had one of the winningest school drag teams in the Portland area. The program was shut down a few years before I hit high school though, and I was very disappointed that my classmates and I never had the opportunity to participate.

I'm very glad to here something similar has been started up again!