IGNORED

Another tranny swap question.

Fun_in_my_z

Hey all.

I am changing an auto to MT. I have read Arne's Tech article and didn't want to hijack it with dumb questions. I have a few more things to buy but I think I'm getting close; however, I still need the fly wheel.

Question, Will a flywheel from a L24 work or do i need to source another one? their is a 76 at the u pull it, but i don't want to pull it. :nervous: any disadvantages to this? I have 2 fly wheels from a L24 if they will work it might save me some cash. Am I better of buying a new one?

Not a larger diameter flywheel. How would you get the starter to work? I just has a larger diameter surface machined on it for the 243mm disc and 9 bolt holes for the pressure plate instead of 6. 2+2 and Turbo clutch are identical.

Yes. The plate, disc, and t.o. bearing have to match up with the trans.
Actually, the key issue is that the throw-out bearing collar and the pressure plate must match. The rest is not as important. So buy a pressure plate for the same year as the car that the t.o. collar came from.

Gary is correct, the 2+2's had a larger diameter flywheel, as did (I think) manual transmission factory turbos. Other than that, all the same.

The friction disk on the 2+2 and turbo flywheels is the same diameter - 240mm.

Arne is also correct regarding the TO collar and pressure plate. It has to do with the distance between the pressure plate fingers and the TO bearing, which is dependent on the TO collar length.