IGNORED

restoration costs?

ToXIc

Kerrigan, I really want to complement you on your Z, she is beautiful. I have been at the show for the past two days , helping set it up. And I have looked her over a number of times and others have commented also, how great a job you have done . Gary

Kerrigan, I really want to complement you on your Z, she is beautiful. I have been at the show for the past two days , helping set it up. And I have looked her over a number of times and others have commented also, how great a job you have done . Gary

Thank you very much for the nice complement Gary; Kyrian and I worked our eyes out on that baby getting her ready to share with you-all.

Hopefully we can all get out on some good runs this summer with the Zs :-)

Again, thank you!

Kerrigan and Kyrian

I have to agree with everyone!!

I have owned a 1978 280z since 1979 and have put 312,000 miles on her with the original engine and tranny. With the exception of a radiator, I have only replaced the typical battery, starter, clutch, brakes, etc to keep her going. Some rust on the bottom of the doors but the body is in good shape. No major crashes! Unfortunately due to the purchase of another vehicle, she got garaged about 4 years ago. My intentions were to restore her and have her 'just like new'....

After lots of inquiries over the years and trying to nail the right person down to do the work, my dream was fulfilled. I found a 1978 280z with 16,505 original miles in excellent condition. No rust, original paint, factory stickers on most parts and still has the factory stamp on the bottom of the front bumper. I'm told that the car has never been waxed and that the clearcoat is the original. The interior still smells like new and the cargo area isn't even faded from the sun. The spare tire still has the original air can in the cardboard container as well as the jack parts in the pouch in plastic. The previous owner still had a lot of the Japanese shipping papers that came with the car along with the original manuals and cardboard key tag from the dealer.

This car will now become my 'pleasure car' and give me the memories back that I had with my old one.

My advice, personally...... if you have the patience and time, things happen for a reason..... I can't explain this one but I'm not complaining at all.

Love my ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I went with a different path than most of you.

I purchased a 72 240Z 6 months ago. I had some budget and I was looking for one in real good condition (i.e. as few rust as possible). I paid 8k$ for it, pricey maybe for some (the car is not stock anymore - L28, Webers, Cams) but I was feeling rude to buy the car for cheap knowing how much time and money the previous owner spent (it was probably still cheap anyway).

It's my first old/classic car and I don't want to be overwhelmed with the work to do and lose the motivation.

So I bought one in good shape with freshly rebuilt engine, new brakes, new interior made by a Z enthousiast (who was crying the day I bought it, I almost bring the car back to him). I still feel that the Z still doesn't really belong to me yet (even if I wrote a check ;) ), I did not put a picture of her as an avatar for instance.

Each time there's an opportunity I put my hands on it, I look for the missing part, I try to put back parts that were not installed the way they should, etc...

The car is not perfect, she still needs some work done (some wiring to review, linking gas tank, raw gas smell inside the cabin,...) so I've got plenty of small project to take care of.

I have a list of stuffs to buy, stuffs to fix, stuffs I want to change, etc.

I also learn a lot by reading forums, books, watching videos...

My goal is to keep her several years, learn how she's made and do someday a real restauration by myself (as much as I can) but right now I enjoy the car, drive her when I can (still at least one month to wait for salt to get out of the roads... :angry:)

I was looking for a Z like this for almost 4 years.

I also almost bought one year ago 2 240Z to make one good car out of them. With some feedback, it would have been a mistake to invest myself into this kind of project now, I'm not ready. I also strongly discourage/warn my friends who are less involved into cars than me to buy a rusty project car.

The cool story is that I will continue to work on the car the way the previous owner did. We're still in contact, he asked me to meet to see the car during spring, I'll be more than happy to let him drive it again and enjoy it :classic:.

It also a way for me to show him that he sold the car to a new Z enthousiast who is taking care of her.

Congratulations on the ''new''z . You did a wise thing finding the cleanest car you could. You saved a ton and many hours labor. Especially since , it seems , you are not experienced in a project like one of these. this way you can enjoy the car as you learn and make the Z your own. Your way. Gary

Thanks for your comments.

Funny part of ths story is that I'm a automotive mechanical engineer who designs suspension parts for a living (rear lower control arm of the GMC Accadia/Buick Enclave, for instance)

To work on a classic car is a very different task. There's no passion in automotive business anymore, it's all about money so I've got the Z to keep my passion alive :)

I also strongly discourage/warn my friends who are less involved into cars than me to buy a rusty project car.
Very, very good avice!!
There's no passion in automotive business anymore, it's all about money.....
That goes for most businesses these days.

• 2 weeks later...

I learned a neat little trick when trying to find the original color of an older Z car.

USUALLY, when the total repaint is done (interior including,) they don't repaint the inside of the storage compartment lids under the rear deck carpet. Lift up the lid and look at the underside of it. It must might be the color you are seeking ....

On ours it was ... Nissan 901 Silver.