IGNORED

Old Z, old owner, new member

al'z

I returned from the USAF in '86 and soon after bought my '73 240Z after reading a "Best 10 cars to own" article in a mag (Car & Driver or Road & Track). I was hooked after five minutes behind the wheel (oh, what a feeling-no wait, that was Toyota).

Long story short- I still have my z, though I'm working on much needed work to body and soul, I am committed to returning to "active" z-driver status.

Considering a conversion from '72 SU carbs to '78 FI. Any hints welcome.

al

Thanks, Jon. I plan on keeping the SUs for a while until I'm convinced I made the right choice. My biggest problem is that the SUs are feeding an L28 and I'm not sure they are enough for it. Besides I'm not the greatest engineer.

Nice ride.

al

That is food for thought...thanks. Not for the faint of heart? Because...what, difficulty of making the switch (mechanically), financially, too much kick, what? I've heard it's not that difficult.

al

The early SUs are fine for a L28. My wife's and daughter's 240Zs are both running that setup. If you want a FI system that really makes a difference look at my photo gallery, but be warned it isn't cheap and you better know what you are doing because everything is laptop programmable, but man is it BETTER!!! I will never go back to carbs.

Curtis (and everyone else that contributed), thanks for the wisdom. I was trying to get around the cost and hassle and heading straight into a life-changing nightmare of biblical proportions. The solution was already under my hood. I will rebuild and tweek my current early SUs instead and love my z sooner.

Thanks, again.

That is food for thought...thanks. Not for the faint of heart? Because...what' date=' difficulty of making the switch (mechanically), financially, too much kick, what? I've heard it's not that difficult.

al[/quote']

There's more to it than you think. Did you see my answer in the other thread?http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?p=242069#post242069