IGNORED

Help with headlights

'77 280. stock. conducted continuity and voltage checks on steering column combo switch =OK. headlights themselves(taken off car) =OK, fusible links =OK. fuse box fuses, front contacts and rear of fuse box panel =OK. both sockets for the lamps are dead.

i do notice that the wires leaving the fuse panel are red with yellow stripe (normal driving lamp), and solid red (hibeam), yet the wires at the socket (pass side) are red with black stripe. is there a splice i'm missing? from the fuse block to the socket there doesn't seem to be anymore splices (or harnesses) in the large main loom going through the firewall. any help is appreciated.

I have a 78Z. My headlights did not work, but the high beams did. I jiggled the fusible links, and they started working. Perhaps it was just luck. You might turn the light switch on and jiggle each of the fusible links to see if the lights go on. If so, then you only need to clean the contacts.

Good luck!

Actually you're wrong. Solid red is the right headlight and red with a yellow stripe is the left headlight. Hi beam at the sockets is the red/white and the low beams are red/black.

Hi and low beam are determined by the T/S stock and are red/white and red/yellow. They swap colors in the harness somewhere, that's where they turn red/white and red/black.

I believe the 280Z's have relays near the battery for hi and low beam. look for those same color wires going into the relays near the battery. The relays could be bad or check for power in that area. I think the 280Z's also have a passing relay as well but that may only be on the automatic. Not real sure.

Let us know what ya find out.

Dave.

Hey John, Where were the fusable links located at? just for both his and my sakes

Dave,

There aren't any oem relays for the lights in a 280Z. At least in the 78 280Z there arent. The relays are mostly for the ignition and fuel stuff. A couple for the safety equipment and the emissions stuff ( CA models.) Twforo or three for accessories.

The wires do go through the inner fender, where there is a sharp-ish edge, and then into the headlamp protector, both of which could rub the wires and beak the conductors.

Some wires change color when they go through the connectors behind the glovebox. A good wiring diagram will help to know which.

thanks for the input guys. I have the FSM from a '76, and am pretty good with a meter and a wrench. the '76 wiring is the same as the '77, according to what i'm looking at in the schematic and on the car 9i tried to download a '77 FSM, but my computer kept crapping out, got the '76 FSM easily) . there are no relays for the headlights. i was able to trace all of the wires except after the fuse box through the firewall (i didn't want to cut the loom's tape that holds it all together). where all the large harness connectors join.

a local guy mentioned that the CA cars have an orange sticker on the ECU. is this true? mine is orange/brown-ish.

also, i have the dash out, but re-installed the harness, just so everything is hooked up. the lights worked fine with the dash out, and all ancilliary lights work. then yesterday, the headlights just quit. i also cleaned all fusable link contacts, headlight sockets and connectors inside engine compartment. also note that the car is original and unmolested...very stock, no birds nests of wire anywhere. thanks

sblake01: thx. i found some diff's between 76 and 77 already :o)

tomohawk: hope these help....wait, the attachment paperclip isn't working..any advice?

-blue 'T' plug is for defogger.

-black, red (fused) single lines are for radio pwr.

-antenna sw. is hooked up and laying on radio...which is laying on newly carpeted floor :o)

-speakers are self explanitory.

-lights for vent panel and console are hooked up except for wiring to ashtray light, which is on the console....which is on the roof of my 240 :o)

-large 5 wire black plug???? your guess is as good as mine...

for those still following this post...i found the problem!. the large spade ground wire under the combo switch harness connectors (top of steering collumn under ignition lock cylinder) wasn't properly connected. the male spade was slid in between the outter female receiver, and the clear insulation 'boot' of the spade connection, thereby giving intermittent contact.