IGNORED

torquing suspension after overhaul

madkaw

Looking for any suggestions to torque down my suspension after installing new urethane bushings all around. I have read that the control arms need to have the weight of the car and passengers before actally torquing them down, is this true and why? Also, my references seem to be a little confusing when it comes to the torque numbers for each bushing, any good threads for this?

My book says the rear control arm- forward inner bushings should be torqued to 100lbs. I don't see how to even get a socket on that bolt to use a torque wrench, and when we are talking 100lbs, aren't we just saying really tight. Not that I take torque values lightly but it's going to be tough to get 100lbs on that bolt laying under the car.

If you do not have weight in the car, 300 lbs recommended, and you torque the suspension with no weight applied . You are setting a pre-load condition for when the car is then lowered and resting on the tires. this stresses the bushings and they will fail in short order. Not a big thing , just put some blocks under the tires when you lower the car off the stands , have a couple of people sit in the car and torque down the bushings. If you don't the bushing police will NOT arrest you. Why argue with the original builders of the Z. This is how they say to do this .

My book says the rear control arm- forward inner bushings should be torqued to 100lbs.

My passenger side forward bolt WAS NOT torqued to that spec because it is MISSING, and think it has been missing since I bought it in 77. Have a replacement but also was wondering how to get a socket on it or just a long box end. It will also be interesting trying to clean the threads enough to put it back in without taking it all apart.

I asked a kid once how fast his Z was and he said it was so fast parts came off. ROFL

Bonzi Lon

I had intended on putting the car on blocks to torque the bolts and try and find a couple of buddies to sit in the car. My book shows two different torques for the front and rear inner bolts on the rear controls arms- can someone verify the torque values for me?

Gary, I figured it was a preload issue but thanks for the verification.