differential mount - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

differential mount

Featured Replies

Well after a year of having my Z its finally on the road. The only problem

is that i believe the differential mount is broken. It makes a thumping sound

every time im changing gears from the rear of the car. I was wondering what was the name of the mount so I could replace it. Hopefully i won't have to special order it.

Typically this issue is a failed front differential mount. It's design is similar to your standard issue engine mount....steel/rubber. When it fails (separates) it allows the nose of the differential to lift under load. There should also be a limiting strap in this location that stops the nose of the differential from slamming into the bottom of the chassis. Another thought....also check your U-joints on the drive shaft and axle shafts, as this cam also be a cause of the clunking. Hope this helps.

Tom

  • Author

mechanic said the mount was broken. just didn't know which one it was. I need

to replace it. Any idea where i can get one without having to special order?

You could modify the one you have so that you never need to deal with it again. The stock system with the strap and the stock diff mount SUCKS. There is a very easy to do fix with a welder and a long bolt (fuel hose optional) that will prevent you from having problems ever again.

Details at the end of the original post in this thread: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=114798

  • Author

thanks for the link. I ended up getting a stock replacement. I wish i had the skills to manufacture a bracket. I saw the steel mounts that were sold but i didn't want to deal with the noise issue that they cause.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.