IGNORED

Need quick opinion!

Zak's Z

I know how that goes. After finally getting to this point you get anxious to paint. This is the point where you can make of brake the job . Do take the time to do it right . If you cut corners in the prep you will be sorry later. I must say here that I don't claim to be an expert painter by any means. I have done it and worked through the entire process more than once and with good results . But others I am sure are far better at this than I. POR, I do know that stuff. Gary

I researched a bit for this oxidation problem, and couldn't find any references resulting in corrosion due to the braze itself. The only references to corrosion occuring in a brazing process refer to improper cleaning or release of the flux used in brazing but not to the brass or bronze used in brazing.

Which concurs with the times I've found it, when there was poor prep work or poor clean up afterwards. Those times, it wasn't oxidation of the brass, but rather oxidation due to the flux not being cleaned off, or the metal having been oxidized by the heat of the flame used, or the metal being brazed not being cleaned up prior to brazing.

I'm wondering if your "expert" was giving you grief over what you did because you didn't consult with him first, as opposed to doing it with someone else's help who may have experience. His scare tactic may be due to his inhaling lead fumes from using lead on the Willy's body panels....otherwise it's NOT what was done at the factory. The flux used for lead can ALSO have the same problems with corrosion.

Brazing is such a common technique for bonding dissimilar metals and light welding (think of brazing as "hot glue" for metals), that if in fact it were to corrode as readily as your "expert" makes it sound, then it would be common knowledge. Not only that, it IS an accepted production process for several large companies. If it really oxidized that quickly would it be the process they'd choose?

Make sure you clean off the brazed area properly after you finish brazing, even to the extent of grinding the brass surface to smooth it off (probably the best way of removing the flux) and level the surface again. The area you worked on is notorious for rust anyhow so it could rust even if you take all precautions anyhow. If you heated it properly such that the brass FLOWED and actually clung to the metal instead of balling up and rolling off, then you more than likely did burn off the flux. Look for tell tale scorch marks as well as black carbon deposits...those have to go.

Another method would be to use the POR 15 Marine Clean, and Metal Prep process to degrease and etch the metal, and then follow up with the POR, making sure you get it well into all the cavities, nooks and crannies of that panel. But always do some grinding first.

Are there any guarantees? Yes, if you do nothing, it will DEFINITELY continue rusting.

Was there a better way of eliminating rust in this part of the car? Yes, but it would have involved cutting out and re-welding a new part in....and even that wouldn't necessarily guarantee that it wouldn't rust again in the next 6 months. Then again, you could disassemble the car, send it off for dip-stripping and see how much metal you get back and how much work you end up doing.

FWIW

E

All points well taken guys. E - Thanks for looking into that. I'll keep at it and slow down a bit to make sure its done right. I went at it again last night...it was looking good but there were a few tiny pinholes in the brass so I brazed more and made a bigger mess. Now when I ground it down I had chunks falling off and little actual metal left to get the braze to stick to. Patience was the lesson last night I think.

Zak

• 3 years later...

Hey,

I'm STILL not finished my car, but it has been painted and everything looks good. I would say that it was used for filler more than repairs and the rear hatch and corners look good (after prep and paint). It's been a few years since I got it painted and it looks good. If your brazing has been done for repairs rather than filling in some holes I'd have a serious look at it to assess if it would be better to remove it and get a proper weld. Now that you have her down to bare metal you don't want to cut any corners that might come back to bite you later.