IGNORED

Will Cars of Today Become Classics?

Mckrack

Hello folks. The title Will Cars of Today Become Classics is the title of an article in todays edition of the Wall Street Journal. The Home and Family Section Page D5.

The article basically discusses which cars today may be considered classics 25 years or more from now. There is mention from Rob Myers founder of RM Auctions that he feels that the Datsun 240z could find favor in the future as attainable vehicles. I am somewhat unclear as to this statement because this has already been happening for a lot of years.

You may be able to google WSJ and read the article. It's somewhat interesting. Just thought I would let you know.

McKrack

'Classic' is highly subjective. I'd consider the Z a classic, but someone writing for the WSJ is probably thinking along the lines of rarity, value / price, and probably popularity most of all. These are the same people that'll drool over a line of 10 nearly-identical '57 Bel Airs at a hot rod gathering.

Modern cars as classics? Maybe...cars are now built more for immediate value / impression than they are longevity. 'Classic' implies withstanding the test of time, it the attitude toward motor vehicles is increasingly 'Use 4-7 years, discard'. Cars older than 15 years are now coming under fire as gross polluters and clunkers, regardless of how well they're maintained.

As far as styling goes, there are a number of vehicles that have classic potential, the Chrysler 300 being a good example. Much of their impact on the automotive industry should be considered, as well. The PT Cruiser, New Beetle and New Mini are good examples.

I agree with wingnut whole hartedly. I purchased a new Honda S2000 in late Sept of '99 with the hopes of re-living the driving joy of the 240Z I owned in H.S. The deal maker for me was the fact that this car was one of the first 500 built. I immediately thought of the '69 year production Z's.

The car is a blast to drive and only has 20k miles after 8 years. However, with these cars, even the low VIN's are valued no different than the newer models.

Honda really hyped up these cars when they were introduced and gave buyers the impression that this was to be a very limited production car. After 8 years of production, I guess I was fooled.

Oh well, I still have my Z

Which ones will be classics in a few decades? Opinions please.

I agree WingNut about the Chrysler 300. That gorgeous piece of machinery brought Chrysler out of a rut they seemed to be in full of ugly cars. (They didn't realize they were sitting on a four-lettered gold mine: "HEMI") The same with the Dodge Magnum. And as much as I dislike the P.T. Cruiser, I think it will always be remembered. I have mixed feelings about the new Mustang. People are always going to love the 350Z and the MR2. Anything Mazda with the rotary engine is going to be a classic because it's so different. And for my sake, I hope some one decides the DeLorean is cool so it's value will go up. LOL

I've always wondered this samething too. In my opinion, some will and some won't. Who would a want a Ford Taurus 30 years from now? Cars like you mentioned the Chrystler 300, current generation Mustang ect, for sure cars like that I can picture people collecting and obtaining them and using them as collector vehicles decades from now.

Which ones will be classics in a few decades?

How many will still be running in a few decades? I know overall cars are much more reliable now but with all the electronics and regulations on them are people really going to be able to keep them going? A bit of duct tape and bailing wire will keep a Z on the road for quite awhile. Try that when the computer controlled thingymajig goes haywire and they aren't available anymore.

I know different states have different smog laws but that would seem to be a limiting factor. It could get very expensive trying to keep up all the systems so that they'd pass smog year after year.

The cars mentioned above definitely have the uniqueness and character to stay, however as mentioned 'old' cars are now looked at differently. Each new model year has to be bigger and faster than the last. We have Toyota Camrys that will do 0-60 in around 6 seconds. Does that seem ridiculous to anyone else? Yes, many of us try to make our Z's faster but the ongoing quest to get family cars to have so much HP that it is really useless just baffles me. Will anyone value a 2005 Chrysler 300 when the 2012 model has 650 HP, 23 airbags, 18 speaker 2,300 watt sound system and can not only park itself but will also feed the parking meter? Does the 350Z have the styling to last? Each year will find faster and better versions of it so will people value the early ones?

I like the Z because it has style that you can't come close to without spending well over $40,000 today, its fun to drive and fairly easy to work on. However, my sisters minivan will probably outrun it at a stoplight.

I guess maybe as long as there are people that value something other than HP ratings and the number of cup holders maybe people will hold onto their 300's and Mini's etc.

The DeLorean is definitely unique enough to last, but how many other 80's or early 90's cars do you see around that are in good shape? For the ones that aren't in good shape what are the odds that anyone would spend what it would cost to return them to good shape?

Edmunds.com recently added a 1984 Ferrari 308GTSi to their long term test fleet: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/LongTerm/articleId=121288 it is interesting to read their ongoing logs about driving it.

The S2000 was mentioned as an example. Not only did Honda produce a lot more of them than was expected, they gave the new ones more power, fancier sound systems etc.

I think it helped the 240's that it wasn't until they came out with the ZX turbos that the cars in stock form were faster than the original. Will the 350Z be in demand or will people just replace them with the 370Z?

I think what it will really take for the cars of today to be collectable is a major shift in the market. Either the manufactures all go after some new styling change. Like the change from the big flat sided boats of the 50s to the curved in at the bottom look of the later models or government intervention. Like the 1-2 punch of smog laws and safetly regulations that did in the cars of the early 70s. If the government came out tomorrow and said all future cars must get 40mpg or more, many people would cling to their current cars. Or all cars must have big enough bumpers to hit a wall at 30 mph and not receive any damage. The future cars wouldn't look much like the current ones.

It could happen on a smaller scale, say if Chrysler decided that sales had dropped on the 300 so they weren't going to make it anymore or if the new PT Cruiser came out and looked nothing like the current one then there would be a solid line that some people would stay on the other side of. It still has the problem of in 20 years where do you get a new traction control dohicky. At least then it would be "hey, you've got one of the original (insert car here)" rather than "Oh that is the old (same car), have you seen the newer ones?"

On a side note: I wish I could edit posts for longer than 5 minutes. Sometimes my brain doesn't work that fast.:P

That's the point I was trying to make. The writer of that article interviewed the founder, Myers of RM Auctions which is a very reputable automobile Auctioneer. Myers says that he believes that the 240z may go on to be a classic. Either the witer of the story line misunderstood him or Myers doesn't know what he's talking about since the 240z is already a classic and has been for quite some time.

As for the the Chrysler 300 I don't know about that. The PT Cruiser is just awful and I hope it is never classifified as a classic. Maybe the Mazda Miata, Some of the 500sl and SL 500 Mercedes and that body style with even the larger engines or the AMG version of the last 12 years, even the 350z 25 years from now and a whole lot of other cars. As for the 240z I hope all would agree it became a classic years ago.