IGNORED

Black Pearl build quantities

bobs77

Another "rare" Black Pearl Z showed up on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=140140951737&rd=1&rd=1

Along with some obvious errors ("extended hatchback") he does mention a low build number. Anyone know what the real build quantity was for the 1978 Black Pearl edition?

Alloy wheels weren't included in the SAP on the Black Pearl or the Zzap. The came with hubcaps. His alloys aren't the one's he's reffering to anyway. I've heard different numbers bandied about including that one was shipped to each dealer in the US, but my conclusion is that there are no hard and fast numbers of how many Black Pearl or Zzap editions were built. No special VIN's or anything else like that. Just a trim package.

post-3797-14150800889216_thumb.jpg

It may be interesting to note that the only thing left about that car that is "Black Pearl" is the paint itself, assuming that it is really the correct metallic black paint. It is missing the strips and rear louvers, and has the wrong mirrors.

It is probably a black pearl only in his mind...

I see no evidence that it is or was...

All it took to make a black pearl was a trim kit-this car has none of the pieces...funny thing about that little white speck on the top of chook poo, it's chook poo too!

Will

My $.02,

This car most likely was shipped to the U.S as a BPE, But as the purists would say "Now, it's just a black 280Z". This is primarily because of the missing mirrors,the appearance of a repainted body, and incorrect color for the tail light panel, incorrect wheels, etc. The pictures are inconclusive and investigating is highly unlikely. I do see that the engine compartment and spare tire well are black as well with the appearance of all known tags in place.

When I found out that my Z was a BPE, I went over to Carl's site to learn as much as I could about the car. The numbers are between 850 and 1500. I read on his site that not all BPE Z's had the SAP. I registered my Pearl, and was informed that I was 1 of about 90 registered BPE owners.

I'm not sure of all of the facts regarding how many Pearls had the SAP. Mine apparently did, however the previous owner removed the stripes and rear louvers. My Z has the hubcaps, I am not sure of the wheel options. I am only familiar with the examples seen on the Z car sites.

Hope this helps.

Matt.

My Z has the hubcaps, I am not sure of the wheel options.

See post #2. Hubcaps were the base on the BPE. The wheel options would have been the same as whatever was available for a 78 280Z.

I read on his site that not all BPE Z's had the SAP

I don't get that statement wherever it comes from. Datsun never built a plain black S30. And that's what you'd have without the SAP. Again, see post #2.

Please understand, it's not my intention to incite an argument with you, or anyone for that matter.

Here is a quote from zhome.com:

We know what at least one Black Pearl Edition with the "SPORTS APPEARANCE PACKAGE" was sent to each Authorized Datsun Dealer in 1978, with the larger volume Dealers receiving more than one. Thus at least 850 Black Pearl Editions with the SAP were produced and most likely something closer to 1200 or 1500 of them. We have no official production figures for the number of cars which received only the Black Pearl Metallic Paint (but not, the Sports Appearance Package.).

This statement can be argued against, or proved correct by an original non SAP Black Pearl owner.

It was my understanding that the #638 paint code made the Pearls what they are. I remember reading that the SAP was applied at the dealer. I could be wrong, but does it really matter?

Apparently, I know less about the BPE than you claim to, but my knowledge is based on the ownership of one for the past 13 years. I am quite familiar with my car and its options.