IGNORED

'76 280 won't start

Chris'sZ

Have had some charging problems. On a fully charged battery and engine running I disconnected the positive cable to test alternator and she died immediantly. I have been unable to start her since. The starter turns the engine over just fine and I'm getting fuel past the fuel filter. Today when I tried her again she would start and run for just a few seconds, then dead again...???

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Chris'sZ

Assuming you have spark

Any fuel coming from the fuel injectors.

I assume it's the Fuel injected L28. If no fuel at the injectors then is there any voltage at the injector.

Should be 12v on both sides. Dropping resistors should pull the voltage down on one side of the injector allowing for current to flow assuming the ECCU is powered up and working properly.

I found that I had a poor connection to my ECCU and it caused similar problems where the car would start and then not start. I had ignition .

I believe the dropping resistors are controled by the ECCU. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Actually, it's ECU which stands for electronic control unit. Some people call it the computer or the brain. It's not nealy that sophisticated. It's basically just a junction box that directs the signals for the EFI (electronic fuel injection) system.

• 2 weeks later...

Today when I tried her again she would start and run for just a few seconds, then dead again...???

i ran in to a similer problem. it was a worn iginition switch. the key would turn just enuff to turn the car off after it was running .try holding the key after it starts.

This is just a hunch. What about the oxygen sensor or temp sensor. When the engine first starts, the ECU should be adjusting the injector duty cycle to run rich. Once the engine is started, it could be that the ECU does not detect temp or oxygen sensor signals and continues to run rich flooding the engine. When you try to restart the car, did you pull the plugs and see if they were wet.

Two things to look at. Is the battery charged? EFI needs a certain amount of volts to run. Second, try disconnecting the oil pressure switch. With low oil pressure the switch turns off the fuel pump. Disconnecting it will bypass this and keep the fuel pump on. Of course your oil pressure gauge won't work ( a good idea to check the oil before doing this!)

Jim