IGNORED

Seen on EBay!!! Landau roof baby YEAHHH!!

gogriz91

This car may be one of the last surviving “sport package” cars left. Many people have told me they remember these cars and I’ve spoken to people who worked at the port installing the tops. Evidently, some Z’s were imported with shipping chain tie-down damage to the roofs and Datsun decided to add this “sport package” instead of repainting the entire car (and I’m sure charge a premium for it!).

Never heard that one before. Could there be any truth to it or is it just another 'urban legand'?

... with the factory “sport package” that included the vinyl top...
... I’ve spoken to people who worked at the port installing the tops ...

Those two statements taken together give me little confidence in the seller.

"Minor rust" my arse. I shudder at the thought of the poor sole who removes the dogleg to do the "minor" repair. A wee bit more than minor I suspect.

Since when has a vinyl roof been described as "sports package". Not sure that this cosmetic weight adding feature enhance the ability of the car to be sporty at all.

Oh well, it doesn't look as bad as some we have seen on ebay over the past months, someone will have it for a price they are happy with I'm sure.

There was no official "sport package" option offered by Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. Nissan did have a Sports Option Catalog with various components available in America through the competition department of Datsun. Nissan also had a number of options available on a limited basis in America including the vinyl landau top application. See item 7 on the photo. Nissan never offered side molding - that's dealer installed aftermarket - or bumper bars. The most common bumper bar was sold by AMCO.

post-4148-14150800719316_thumb.jpg

I've seen a few over the last 22 years that I've been paying attention but there aren't many of them. The landau roof only seemed to creae a huge rust problem.

So did Nissan offer a landau roof? There's a picture of a Z with one in that catalog. Dealer installed maybe?

Regarding the "rare sport package"...During the '70's I worked for a GM Holden dealer on Sydneys Auto Alley, otherwise known as Parramatta Rd. This area was twice hit with hailstorms. A lot of new vehicles stored outside were hail damaged. Consequently many dealers offered a vinyl roof package in the 1976/'77 models range. I remember well endless trips from the new and used vehicle yards to Simsmetal (big scrap dealer) with hail damaged but otherwise new bootlids and bonnets. Every now and then I would see other carriers with a load of Chrysler, Datsun or British Leyland panels that had suffered the same fate. It was no suprise over the next 12 months to see new Valiants, minis, the odd Holden wagon sporting a vinyl roof. This car just may have been one of a group to suffer a similar fate through damage of some sort, whether it be onboard a ship or as a result of weather.

Yes. Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. offered a vinyl (black) "landau" roof covering. Part number D4160-00003, leather top, and superceded by D4160-00016, leather top (black).

The funny thing I find about the eBay ad is that all this is described as a "sport package" and none of it contributes to the performance of the car. I would think it would be better described as luxury!