IGNORED

71 240z

CoastGuardZ

Eureka!!!:bunny:

I found her!!! She's all mine!!! Back off!!!

71 240z not to far from me and for sale. The price? Let's just say it's a song and dance.

Now here's the best part. I'm not supposed to get one 'till after we get hitched in October, but... I've conned her into going with me to look at it and if I like it, and she likes it, the price sure is right! I could very well have a Z by the weekend!!!ROFL

So like I'm so freakin' flippin' crazy excited out of my mind I had to say something!!!

Of course it could be a big turd not worth the time or money:disappoin

The ad says "1971 DATSUN 240Z, , restoration project, 100% rust free, California car, runs good, strong engine, needs cosmetics"

To me this means I shouldn't expect a whole lot, but it says "runs":D

So please join in with my happiness!!!:love:

Happy ta hear:classic:

Just dont fall in love easy. If the ad is true good for you. If not take A deep breath n walk away. Dont fool yourself just cuz its there and you want one.

good luck and I hope its what you are looking for.:classic:

P.S. Bring your cam. for showing off your new baby or letting the rest of us see what it was.

Just dont fall in love easy. If the ad is true good for you. If not take A deep breath n walk away. Dont fool yourself just cuz its there and you want one.

= DITTO = DITTO = DITTO = DITTO = DITTO =

For me, the KEY thing in that ad: 100% Rust Free

I would check under the passenger compartment at the floor pans both sides. Look for the obvious rust through, but also check to see if new undercoating is there. If too new, is it protecting a repair, or hiding a cheap repair. Check under the floor mats and ASK about what was done.

Check the back part of the front fenders, look at the rear fenders, check the hatch edges. LOOK AT THE ROCKER PANELS.

If all those are good, you have a good base to work from.

But the BIGGEST red flag is: restoration project, needs cosmetics

That means: NEEDS WORK!! If you are conning yourself into believing you HAVE the time, then it won't get done. It takes hours of looking for some of the parts, let alone removing the bad, repairing what needs to be repaired (and trust me there will be) and then replacing with new.

Needs cosmetics: no emblems / needs trim pieces / dash is cracked / seat upholstery / carpeting / plastic panels are shot

It may be that not all or any of what I've mentioned will be there. The less the better. Just trying to give you a short list to check, and believe me as long as this post is, there are hundreds of posts about these problems. If you've been hanging around for a while, then you know.

Lastly, if you are leaving the house WITH THE INTENT TO BUY, then you have lost and may find yourself in trouble. Don't kid yourself about how much money (and I mean BIG MONEY) you can throw at these cars. It is 10000% better to wait for a better car than to try to fix one up if you are on a tight budget.

Henry Ford was once heard to mention that he would gladly give every American a free car, as long as they bought the replacement parts ONLY from him. Think about that, then toss in a healthy 30 year age to the parts you are trying to find and you get a good idea how HARD & expensive it can be to find them in good condition.

Look at this car as if you were going to adopt it. You want a good kid and not a budding Jeffrey Dahmer.

2¢

I must agree with the previous posts. Don't buy one just to have one. Wait for that special one. It took me about a year before I found her. Interior perfect, engine smooth & clean. No bondo patches or primer. The kind of car you can take for a drive and not have people saying "what a piece of junk" but have them saying "Sweet!". Spend those extra bucks on "Sweet!"

Don't let us discourage you, but read over the posts carefully before you spend your money. I've always felt delayed gratification is vastly overrated, but when it comes to your first Z a little caution and patience can make a big difference.

There is one given to Z ownership - you will spend time and money on that 30-year-old car. More money spent up front can mean less later. It can also mean less time working and more time riding.

I find the time spent "improving" my Z much more satisfying than that spend repairing it - almost as satisfying as driving it. It's not nearly as much fun fixing what has to be fixed as it is putting in something new or different.

Good luck. I hope the '71 you're looking at is just what you want.

Okay, so right now I'm crying...sniff, sniff.

My intentions were...

Call, get address, see car, take pictures, Check to see if "most" of the pieces were there, take pictures, see if car really ran "strong", take pictures, put on jack stands or ramps, take pictures, pull back carpet to check pans, take pictures, if all was good purchase car and take pictures.

I'm am planning on a full restoration project, but I would like most of the pieces to be present not a stripped junk yard chassis. And if this was some moron parting with a decent car for $900 bucks I'd have been all smiles :classic: ...Plus my little lady was approving of it since it wasn't the $5000 rides I had been lookink at.

Here's what really happened...

Called and FINALLY got ahold of the seller.

"oh it sold a week ago"

"I was looking at the ad online and it says that it posted yesterday'

"yeah I put it in the magazine a week ago and it sold the first day"

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

:sick: :disappoin :(:angry::cry: :surprised

Oh, well. Guess it wasn't meant to be. Sniff sniff.

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly............ please my only advise is don't get too excited. You can get easily burnt badly. Rust can cost so much to repair and unfortunately it can only be seen properly when the car is stripped bare. Make sure you take someone who knows the car well if you are a bit unfamiliar. Not only will u be upset if the car stings you but that lovely partner of yours will let you know all about it trust meROFL