IGNORED

Cars crushed in street racing crackdown

sblake01

On the T.V. News tonight was the report that two young drivers had been caught by police racing on the main street of North Rockhampton. They were clocked at 198kms per hour. Their cars were impounded for 48 hours and they are due to face court next week.

Now, ... we don't have laws to crush the vehicles but repeat offenders are quite likely to have their vehicles impounded and sold and their licenses suspended.

A related item is the new laws which come into effect as of 1st of July with regards to learner drivers.

From July 1, provisional license holders will be required to identify themselves with the display of "P" plates on their cars, in two stages of provisional licensing over three years.

In the P1 stage, drivers under the age of 25 will display a red "P" plate for at least 12 months and will be subject to several restrictions, designed to minimise driving risks until they gain further experience behind the wheel.

Due to the dangers of distraction and peer pressure for young motorists, P1 drivers will not be allowed to carry any more than one passenger aged under 21 (except immediate family), in the car from 11pm to 5am.

Anyone under 25 who obtains either provisional license after July 1st will be banned from driving high powered vehicles. Vehicle restrictions include cars with 8 or more cylinders, turbocharged and supercharged petrol engines, a maximum power output of more than 200kw, rotary engines above 1146cc and modified engines which do not meet manufacturers original specification.

To attain a P2 license, young drivers will be required to pass a computer simulated hazard perception test, using video scenarios.

In the P2 stage, young drivers will be required to display green "P" plates and will still be subject to the bans on high powered vehicles.

The holders of a learner's license will be required to gain 100 hours of supervised driving, including 10 hours at night, recorded in an approved logbook before applying for a provisional license.

The new regulations are an attempt to cut down on the high number of drivers under the age of 25 killing themselves and their passengers.

Rick.

Now, ... we don't have laws to crush the vehicles......

Niether do we. And we shouldn't. That's why I posted the article in the first place. I don't have a solution that would stop street racing but crushing cars is not it.

Another clear example of "You're too stupid to understand what you should and should not be doing in a car, but we're going to give you a license anyway and then reduce your driving priveledges, for your safety of course." In my opinion if they're that incompetent or immature they shouldn't have a license at all.

I think that this is great. It has gotten the effect it was meant to have. Everyone's attention. Years ago drag racing on the streets where there were no side streets and no homes and the car maybe got up to 70MPH this is one thing. These cars are doubling that speed and more. Neither case was right but these guys are racing in town and on city streets. Here in my state if you are found going 100 or more on the hi way , $1000.00 fine and 3 days in the can. Likely a suspended license and more depending on the infraction. Of course the car was impounded this alone cost a few hundred , in addition. I say it is about time. Gary:rambo: