IGNORED

Hands up who's in Perth (or Australia...)

halz

I've already PM'ed Daniel its a real problem getting 240Z parts in SA, the going rate seems to be at least an arm a leg, possibly even a left testicle, and your firstborn child. If any fellow South Aussies find a good cheap source of 240 parts let me know :).

Hows the car going Daniel, still under the influence of a canary?

All the best Chris

• 1 month later...

Hi Daniel,

welcome along. I am also from Perth, currently I have a 76 260Z 2 str as well as my RB26DETT 240Z.

Your car in the avatar looks nice, have you recently bought it? Maybe you can take some pictures of it and upload it into the photo gallery so we can all have a sneak look at it?

Hope you hang around here, there is lots of nice guys that will bend over backwards to help you if you have any questions or problems.

PM me if you need any help with your zed, ie locating parts etc.

Cuong

thanks

yer i got it about 4,5 months ago ill up load some pictures. Ive had had a look at your 240Z with the rb26 id love to be able to do that but i think ill have to settle with working on the original engine.

thans ive been talking to some of the people at wa z register and there very friendly

Do you know of places for interior parts or restoration and also performance parts

Hi Daniel

Welcome to the wonderful world of Zeds.

I am in the final stages of a total restoration job on my 1970 240

apart from replacing brake components and having the egine/head rebuilt I have had to find few parts, those parts I needed have been or will be supplied by All Z Parts, the only things to come from outside Australia were my replacement seat covers obtained from the US.

Most of the things you need will be available within Australia, even if you do have to pay through the nose, at least with a 260 you should have more luck with second hand spares.

With a bit of luck my car should be finished by in a few weeks, just need to wait for my dash to come back from Dashboard restorations.

If you need any specific info just ask and I will try to put you in touch with people who can help.

Regards

Lee

Hi Daniel and welcome.

Your car looks familiar to me...did you buy it from a guy in Mt. Hawthorn? If its the one I think it is then he had some rust removed and repainted by Stokes and Renk in Subiaco. I have heard from a couple of other sources that they are sympathetic to older cars. We've also had our family car repaired by them and were impressed with the qulity of the job.

Do you live around the Subi area? Looks like you car was photographed in the Centro streets! I'm in Daglish, maybe we could catch up and compare notes.

Hayden.

Hi Hayden

yep thats the car allright

I didnt know were he got it repaired but thanks.

No i wouldnt recomend them because the rust is starting to come through on the right hand fender and there is also a few other little spots coming through.

Yer i live in subi centro (leggo land) that would be great to catch up because ive got a lot to learn about zeds.

Hi Lee

How long did the full restoration take? Because i really want to do a full restoration but im starting uni next year and i dont know if ill have the time. Did you do most of the work yourself?

One more thing how bad was your dash when you sent it in because mine is really bad.

Hi Daniel

I am sorry to say that I have done little by way of restoring my own car due in part to lack of time and impatience but more because of lack of skill, I figured it would be much quicker and I would end up with a much better car if I let a professional do it.

The guy I know has been restoring classics full time for 15 years and has worked on many cars although his passion is for Rileys, I have been close to the resto throughout and have been impressed at the care he has taken with my car, he is a one man band which has been good, I think I have got a better service and built up a far better relationship than I would have got from a fully commercial restoration workshop type setup, it has also been good in that when finances were tight (buying new house, xmas etc) he has been happy to put the car to one side.

So far the car has been worked on for approx 150-160 hours with about 60-80 hours to go I would think.

The car was completely dismantled and all paint removed, all rust cut out with new metal welded in, car is now painted with engine due to go back in by the end of the week.

Like any resto it has cost a lot of money but the end result should be well worth it, car has been painted in its original colour which is 905 red (have not seen the paint job yet) the engine is original with a E31 head which has also been completely refurbished.

Don't let me put you off doing your car yourself, next time I might even have a go myself.

Regards

Lee

My resto is going slowly.

I'm doing as much of the work as I can. I've had 3 weeks off work over christmas and newyears, but still haven had much od a chance to work on my car. Catching up with friends and family gets in the way.

I'm not going the factory original route. I'm painting my car black (why did nissan wait untill 77 to bring out a blask S30?) and fitting air conditioning.

Currently the car is totaly dismantled and up on stands while I work on the chassis (removing paint, finding rust, removing rust etc etc). Have to repair the sunroof hole in the roof panel.

I have a doner roof ready for the transplant.

I'd like to have it finished (well, drivable) for the next Z day, but i'm not sure if thats a realistic target.