IGNORED

I found a stray wire, help!

greekmaster

I own a 1983 280ZX, non turbo. I removed my AFM and found a stray wire. I traced it back to a little cylinder mounted beside my ignition coil. The left side of the cylinder has a wire that enters the harness beside the ignition coil leads. The end of the wire is a female that needs a flat prong to connect. Any idea what the cylinder is and where the wire is supposed to attach?

post-14012-14150800485905_thumb.jpg

I have no idea what the stray wire is for but I belive the metal cylinder is used to suppress electrical noise generated by the charging and discharging of the coil which can result in unwanted static or noise when listening to the radio.

The wire actually comes out of the cylinder. So they are basically the same problem. It beats me where this thing is supposed to go. What also puzzles me is that in the service manual I have there is no indication that there is supposed to be a little cylinder there at all on my car.

Looks like a ballast resitor of sorts, but those are usually found on points distributors....I tried to download the wiring diagram from the Carfiche.com site, but the 280ZX diagram is currently off-line. I'll try to remember to check my ZXT when I get home.

GWGarrard

I believe it is a condensor for filter out RF noise to your radio. It's probably bad after all these years, and I think ignitions are radios are more able to block this interference. Regardless, that little thing won't affect how your car runs, because mine is gone.

Thanks for the pictures. That pretty much solves the problem What year car did the pictures come from?

And to reply to a previous response, this is not the only stray wire. There are about 6 loose ends coming from the main wiring harness that dead end near the fuel rail. Go figure.

What year car did the pictures come from?

There are about 6 loose ends coming from the main wiring harness that dead end near the fuel rail.

Post some photos, and we'll try to figure out what has been done.