IGNORED

Replacing/Fixing Door Panels

Duffman

When Will and I checked, it was close to $45 EACH way, for a total of $90 in shipping alone from Georgia to Washington.

Maybe there are cheaper ways, but the size and padding that must be added to protect the panels from being bent, crushed or damaged limits us. If there are folks who would be interested, and aren't put off by the shipping fees, then maybe it is something I could do for a nominal amount.

The question becomes: How much is it worth?

Take note, that this is a second overlay of Chrome on the existing blue colored vinyl tubing, and not a replacement or installation of new tubing. As it stands, I haven't found a satisfactory replacement for the tubing whether chrome or not. Additionally, if folks are interested, I can use other colors other than chrome.

E

P.S. For those who would like to investigate shipping charges, my Zip is 98685

Considering what it would cost to buy replacement panels the shipping charge does not seem out of line to me. I don't know what your time is worth on this sort of job but assuming you'd want $50 then for $140 someone can get their chrome strips fixed for a lot less than buying and shipping used panels from somewhere.

New panels aren't even an option anymore:

http://store.datsunspirit.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=84

What you should really do is offer to a panel restoration service. As you know a can of SEM dye can make the vinyl look like new and with new chrome strips it really will look new.

Hmmmm.....

You have me thinking.

Would it be imprudent of me to ask; How many of you would be interested? A service is only as good as the demand for it's services.

If you're interested, please chime in. If pictures are warranted from the posts then maybe we can ask Beandip to post pictures of his. I'll let his reply speak for itself.

E

I need to restore both my door panels. They are both in pretty good shape, except for the chrome strip (blue tube is OK), and the vinyl. Is vinyl to match the orginal available anywhere? Does MSA or anyone else use a vinyl that matches the orginal grain and pattern?

Thanks! --jayhawk

• 6 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I just finished reupholstering my seats and door panels. The door panel skins came from Upgrade motoring and the seat upholstery kits from the Z-store. The color is off-white, which is a bit lighter than the original, but it looks very good anyway. From the attached pictures, you can see that the new door panel skins are quite different than the originals. I wanted to have some sort of pattern on the new skins. Although they do not match the old ones, the stitching is using real thread (rather than hot pressed), and I think the overall appearance is really nice.

Along with the skins, a can of spray adhesive was included. The installation was not so simple. You need to be real careful that the skin is correctly placed on the masonite backing board. I sprayed the central region with adhesive, attached the skin so that it was smooth, and let it dry overnight. For the remainder, I used contact cement since the overspray got all over the new skins. I gradually worked my way around the door panel, gluing sections and holding them in place with clothespins for a few hours. I left the corners for last as the material need to be carefully folded. Also, the felt window wipers were a pain to install. You might want to buy new ones from upgrade motoring or elsewhere (about $40).

Anyway, thought my upgrade would be nice to add to this thread.

John

post-15468-14150802163584_thumb.jpg