IGNORED

Clutch Problems

240zGraham73

Just a note on the DOT5 brake fluid! As mentioned, DOT5 (non-hydroscopic)does not absurb moisture as does DOT 3, 4, & 5.1 brake fluid (hydroscopic type fluid). However, moisture will still find it's way into the system but instead of being absorbed into the brake fluid it will pool at the lowest point in the brake system......a proven fact! Also, be very careful to not shake or aggitate the container it comes in, it is very tough to get tiny air bubbles out of this stuff. And as mentioned, NEVER use DOT5 if you are a fan of heavy brake usage...the stuff has a high rate of expansion, compare to the hydroscopis stuff, when heated and will certainly cause you brake greef!

Tom

However, moisture will still find it's way into the system but instead of being absorbed into the brake fluid it will pool at the lowest point in the brake system......a proven fact!

A proven fact in Motor Home use, where the brake lines are 35 feet long. Not really a problem in a 240-Z.

Also, be very careful to not shake or aggitate the container it comes in, it is very tough to get tiny air bubbles out of this stuff.

True - it takes a lot of effort to bleed the brake system using DOT 5, and you do have to be careful not to aggitate it.

And as mentioned, NEVER use DOT5 if you are a fan of heavy brake usage...the stuff has a high rate of expansion, compare to the hydroscopis stuff, when heated and will certainly cause you brake greef!

Tom

Not recommended for "Competition Cars". Everything in life is a trade off of some kind. I've used DOT 5 in all my 240-Z's for over 30 years now. Saved a ton on money and greef on corroaded wheel cylinders, master cylinders and clutch systems.

Very few of us are driving our 240-z's every day... and DOT 5 is ideal for cars given limited use and exposed to sitting for prolonged periods..

FWIW,

Carl B.

Looks to be the clutch, I was moved the rubber boot on the push rod and pieces of the clutch started falling out, guess it was goog to replace the cylinders any way. My last post kinda made it sound like it was the trans., most definatly isn't thankfully. Got the car up on jack stands and I'm ordering the clutch kit today, so hopefully the car will be drivealbe buy the weekend, hopefully being a kew word.

Still have not got the car driving yet, I've been too busy, very frustrating. When the clutch was removed about half of it had disinigrated, so I'd say that's the problem. I thought I'd ask you guys your opinion on what type of transmission oil I should use, is the mt90 oil pretty good, anything better?

First if all Gav let me apologize for leading you down the wrong road with the slave cylinder call, it's rare (with my experience...) that a clutch just "gives up" all of the sudden with no slipping or whatever, but I will say that with redoing everything as you have, you will be safe with upgrading your clutch system.

Whenever I replace a clutch, I do the slave also.....

I keep hearing that the redline product is a good fit as it can make the transmissions shift easier?

I know that's its synthetic, and I hear of many others upgrading to this.

Anyone else wanna chime in here?

Jetjoc?

Beandip?

I think that they (to name a couple of members) know more than I here...

Have a good Monday Graham.

~Brian

• 3 weeks later...

Guess I thought I'd finally say that I fixed the problem, definately the clutch. I've been driving it around for a couple weeks now but when I first start the car up and drive every once in a while when shiftng into second (mainly when the car is first started) there is a slight grinding noise and can be difficult to get into gear but once the car warms up it seems to be fine. It works just fine on all the other gears. Any Ideas?