IGNORED

Making my own EFI intake system

Derek

Dam it Derek. Now I am going to have to redo the whole thought process of my EFI system. LOL

That looks very interesting. Now where to I insert the shot NOS?

Anywhere you want! The wall thickness is enough that it can be drilled and tapped.

Nice job Derek. I have a Megasquirt with TWM ITBs on my 240Z. Check it in my photo gallery. How are you mounting your TPS and MAP sensor?

I'm not sure where the TPS is going to mount. Probably on the pedal side of the linkage. The rear manifold will have a boss on the bottom of #6 for the air temperature sensor. A lot of this stuff I'm winging as I go. But that's what tig welders are for!

I'll update the post here as this progresses since there seems to be more interest than I thought. Things go in spurts according to work load. Although the closer I get to having the front manifold done the more of a priority it's becoming!

You will also have to put a boss on every runner for the MAP sensor.

It was my understanding that the Megasquirt has the map sensor built in.

Derek

edit

ok I just went to the TWM site. there is a port on each runner for the map sensor.

Derek

I think I have everything mocked up at this point.

Here's a shot of the linkage with the throttle closed.

DSC_0037.jpg

And open

DSC_0038.jpg

This is just a practice butterfly. I need to make a jig for my lathe so I can make these as a turning operation. Milling them just isn't giving me the results I want.

DSC_0040.jpg

Say AHHH!

And yes that is a giant step between the casting and the throttle tube. I have a fix for the next manifold. I just need to figure out what I'm doing on this one.

DSC_0041.jpg

This is the vacuum bleed for synchronizing the venturis. I need to lower the rear boss. Also the throttle shafts will be shorter. It looks a little shabby this way.

DSC_0039.jpg

At this point I think I have enough info to finalize the design for the rear manifold.

Now all I need is time!

Derek

I read your threads over on hybridz, and may have missed this....how much air does that flow? Will you/have you experimented with horn length, injector placement, trumpet diameter and venturi effect etc? (not a designer of intakes, so my terminology is probably incorrect)

Are you planning on selling these?

Things are going well on it so at this point it's a definite maybe. It all depends if it runs or not. It won't be cheap though!

I read your threads over on hybridz, and may have missed this....how much air does that flow? Will you/have you experimented with horn length, injector placement, trumpet diameter and venturi effect etc? (not a designer of intakes, so my terminology is probably incorrect)

I really didn't put a lot of research into this. That may sound strange but that's just how it went. I did some research on the best taper degree and where the injector placement should be for the best torque. After that it was a matter of fitting the longest runners I could in the given space and making it look cool. I've seen so many projects like this get bogged down with too much theory.

Here are my levels of success on this project:

It starts and idles. Amazing!

It runs better than the 25 year old SU carbs. Really amazing

It runs better than a MegaSquirted factory EFI manifold. Freeking Amazing.

As you can see my expectations aren't too high!

For me it's all about the look more than the performance. I wanted something unique that wasn't a mass produced piece. I really enjoy the challenge on a job like this and it makes me a better pattern maker and it's also a good way to show my clients what I can offer them.

Derek

First off I know I could have picked a nicer head and valve cover but this is the best I could come up with.

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

This is probably the last I'll be doing on the manifold for a month or so. I'm super busy right now and in this economy I better get while the gettings good.

I will be doing the final design on the rear manifold in the meantime.

Derek

• 7 months later...

Well a lot has happened since my last post! I figured I'd throw up the latest pictures. If you want to see how I got to this point you can check out the post over at HybridZ. Although there's 21 pages and over 400 posts!

First off my engine compartment is really ratty. But making the manifold has kept me pretty busy. The manifolds aren't permanently installed yet but I hope to have it running this week.

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

Art shot 1

bwintake.jpg

Art shot 2

Which looks strikingly similar to this historic photo!

bobsharpintake.jpg

Now I didn't set out to copy Bob Sharps turbo manifold but it kind of worked out that way!

After I started designing my manifold I posted some early renderings on this site. Jeffrey directed me to a post on the atlantic forum about a manifold they were trying to build. This was one of the pictures they had posted. I perused the thread and promptly forgot all about it. The other night I was revisiting some of the early posts and decided to have another look at the thread and saw that shot so figured I'd have a little fun.

I'm in no way comparing my manifold to Bob Sharp! But it's nice that it has the right feel for the era.

Here's the unedited shot which I really like.

DSC_0005.jpg

Sorry for the long gaps in updates but it's all I can do to keep 1 thread going!

Thanks

Derek