IGNORED

Theft deterent devices

rtaylor

OK, so what do you call that timed engine-disabling gadget, and who makes one? (BRYAN) I don't care who has one in their car.

Enigma,

Be careful when using the word SAFE, as most people will agree that no antitheft device will make your car safe. Safer maybe. You're talking about relative safety. here.

Remember the discussion we had long ago giving the car an electrical charge that would 'incapacitate' the theif sitting behind the wheel? It seems to me that this electrical charghe is also about the same thing as those electrolytic rust-prevention systems. You'd be doing both jobs with the same device. :cheeky:

Enigma, Be careful when using the word SAFE, as most people will agree that no antitheft device will make your car safe. Safer maybe. You're talking about relative safety. here.

Hence the word "most" in the very same sentence. you're. referring. to........ ;)

help keep the car safe in the face of most threats.

No Anti-theft system is fool proof. If a thief really wants your car, it's his, and that is why we have insurance.

All these gadgets and devices are a mute point if the theif brings a tow truck along. Anyone ever see the repo-man TV shows, they work damn fast! Still, there are many things, which we have all discussed which will slow down your average thief enough to make stealing the car not worth his time. Hell, half the time I have a damn hard time starting my car with the key, I am sure a thief is going to have fun getting it going hotwired.

Also remember, these cars are not as common as your average Honda Civic, so unloading them isn't as easy. Just store you car inside a locked garage, park in a visible spot in a parking lot and carry good insurance. That's my best advice.

EDIT: Oh yea, don't come steal my car - I went out and got a Trunk Monkey! He's chilling in the spare tire well.

I too happen to agree with nwcubsman on this subject which is why I haven't given my secrets away. Put it this way, They would not only have to spend a ton of time to get my Z to move, but they would will also have to spend a heck of a time to even get to it. The reason I took major action on this is because I had the pleasure of catching some wizz bum lurking around my garage one time. (Mess with the bull and you get the horns :devious: LOL )

Great info guys, I can see why no one wants to describe in detail their particular strategies, who knows what lurks within these walls, so to speak. After reading all replies, I now feel that a multilayer approach to security should be my next order of business. I have the stated value insurance policy as well, but that would be small consolation if the car was stolen. Sort of like trying to replace your favorite dog.

Any opinions on the "club" style anti-theft bars which hold down the brake pad?

There seem to be a bunch of them come out a couple of years ago, but haven't heard anything, good or bad, about them.

These are much better than the steering wheel based clubs which can easily be defeated by cutting through the steering wheel in 30sec or less. They would have to cut through the brake arm to get it off or remove the arm which adds significantly to the time and effort it takes to defeat it.

http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=2108498

http://www.securityworld.com/ShopSite/brakelock.html