IGNORED

Headlamp replacement, there has got to be an easier way...

zbane

I've had my zx for just over a year now, and the driver side headlamp has just burned out. I've searched both this site and hybridz for the answer to this little question-How do you change the lighting unit? I went through the FSM, and it appears that I need to to take off the bumper, grille, valances (valenci?), inner wheelwell protectors, and finally the headlamp buckets (sugar scoops).

I have done some of this, as you can see in the photos, but am being held up by the three screws that hold the center valance to the frame (rusted in for now). Without removing the entire valance unit, I cannot get to the last two screws that connect the scoops to the fender, and without getting the scoops off, I cannot remove the chrome headlight retaining ring that holds the lamp in.

For the record, I tried getting to the light from the engine bay, but the light holder is trapped in the bay by other bits.

From searching the threads, I have decided to go ahead and pull the entire fender off, and I'm OK with that, but I just wonder is there an easier way to change the headlights without taking off half of the car's body?

I must say that I like how the car looks without the front bumper, however I don't like not having turn signals.

And Yes, I'm going to change out both at once. It's the smart and safe thing to do.

post-11908-1415080012564_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150800125963_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150800126193_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150800126432_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150800126679_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150800126918_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150800127227_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150800127464_thumb.jpg

Ouch! I've never owned a ZX, so this is new to me. Looking at this, it could be the best reason I've ever seen to convert to headlights that use replaceable H4 bulbs. That way when one burns out, it looks like you could change the bulb from the back side without disassembling half the car.

the best reason I've ever seen to convert to headlights that use replaceable H4 bulbs. That way when one burns out, it looks like you could change the bulb from the back side

Arne, my thoughts exactly!

Now I am thinking about finding a combo lighting unit, not unlike what certain Mercedes Benz's have-the all in one headlight/turn signal combo lights, then I could do something different with the front bumper, though that is nothing more than a thought right now.

Arne, my thoughts exactly!

Now I am thinking about finding a combo lighting unit, not unlike what certain Mercedes Benz's have-the all in one headlight/turn signal combo lights, then I could do something different with the front bumper, though that is nothing more than a thought right now.

Here are the only multi-chamber 7" lights I know of today. They have H4 (high/low) in the middle, a parking light in the very small chamber at the top, and an H3 fog light in the bottom. No turn signal, but you might be able to get creative.

http://www.classicgarage.com/3cham7rounhe.html

extensive modifications will be necessary to install these lamps. The housing of these lamps will be larger than your stock lamps. Therefore, the O.E. buckets will need to be cut and/or bent to properly utilize the aftermarket NeoLite 3-Chamber Lamp System.

Thanks for the link, Arne! I had been looking around for those, but had no luck finding them.

At @$50 a pair, this looks like a good deal, especially considering the sylvania halogen was about $15 per unit.

The top portion is the "running light" area, I think that could be easily converted to handle turn signal duty, and there is some valuable real estate to be had in the fender for whatever "modifications" are needed.

I suggest that someone go take a look at their Acorn Cups to see if the back of the Headlamp can be accessed from the inside of the fender.

Otherwise the discussion on the H4 lamps still does not address how to make it easier to change out the lamp itself...nor have access to the back of the lamp to change out the H4 bulb.

E

It would be very surprising to me if all this work was required just to change a headlight. I'm betting it can be done from inside the wheel well. It's possible that there is a plastic wheel well lining, I can't remember from my last trip to the JY, but if there is, remove it to get to the rear of the light.

I suggest that someone go take a look at their Acorn Cups to see if the back of the Headlamp can be accessed from the inside of the fender.

Otherwise the discussion on the H4 lamps still does not address how to make it easier to change out the lamp itself...nor have access to the back of the lamp to change out the H4 bulb.

E

I was thinking the same thing. If I remember correctly there is a metal shield (which is a PITA to thread your wiring through) to protect the headlights from the elements. I believe this has to come off.

I to have to deal with my headlights soon enough. The high beam wire for my right light is not connected all the way. When the car get's here I have to replace the headlights anyways with a Euro legal version. They are for some reason quite anal-retentive about the pattern and the exact angle of the headlights. In the US it's 'do they work' ... here they have a checkered pattern and make you adjust them so they shine just right.

Like E said ... even with a replacement H4 bulb, you are going to have to take the whole back panel off IIFC.

When I went to put new lights in my 75 I found that I could not get to the three screws that hold the light in. What I did was use my Roto Zip and put a little notch so I could get to the screws.

The back of the lamps can indeed be accessed from the bay, and yes, there is a metal shield that can be removed (note the "L"&"R" markings). The chrome retaining ring is attached to this plate. I can access two of the three retainer screws by unscrewing the metal shield, but cannot fanagle the plate to access the last little screw. I've not tried the right side, but it is behind the Carbon Canister and Coolant Resevoir-both of which appear to need removing in order to even reach the screws that hold the plate on.

I'll be pulling at least one fender this afternoon, will post photos in the evening of the progress.

post-11908-14150800127799_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150800128061_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150800128299_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150800128528_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150800128749_thumb.jpg

It would be very surprising to me if all this work was required just to change a headlight. I'm betting it can be done from inside the wheel well. It's possible that there is a plastic wheel well lining, I can't remember from my last trip to the JY, but if there is, remove it to get to the rear of the light.

I'd have to agree with you on that. Especially having to remove the fenders. Even on a ZX. You must be missing something in the instructions. I doubt if the car is engineered in such a way that the fenders have to come off in order to change a headlight. If that is the case, I'll add that to my list of reasons why I have the opinion of the ZX that I do but I won't digress any farther on that thought. It's a PITA to change them on my 78 with removing the inner fender liners, front tires, etc. but it can be done with the fenders on.