IGNORED

Looking for turbo zed!

MickieB

Hey guys,

Wow i haven't posted on this forum in probably a year. Well i nearly bought Justin's red 260z with the intention of putting in an rb, but due to fatherly advice (Threats of torture) I didn't but it, i had to buy a ute.... Well, now i'm further in my apprenticeship and i am getting a bit more money under my belt, and i'm looking for a car... What i was wondering is, do the zed's ppl have put RB's in come up for sale often? And if so what sort of price would they fetch? If not i would be looking for a tidy 260z 2-seater with a good body, as i don't really want the trouble of a paint job.... Big as i know, but you can always be hopeful hey..

I would expect to pay in excess of 12K for a 2 seater S30 thats rego'd with an RB intalled. Having said that alot of the blokes with a few bucks to spend on a Z tend to look for unmoletered cars whilst younger blokes wanting an RB Z often just have'nt got enough cash put away due to family commitments etc. I suppose my point being if and RB Z does come up you might get lucky depending on how desperate the owner is to sell it and what the Z market is like at that particular time.

But in short I would expect to pay about 15K for a clean 2 seater S30, (RB30 with reg) with no rust and neat paint.

I know a fella who has just picked up a R33 GTS half cut for about 3.5K and he's doing the work himself so he'll prolly have it in and running for 5K.

http://www.viczcar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1111

Good Luck

The main thing for me is body work. I really want to find a rust free zed with a nice paint job... I know that's a huge ask, but everything else i can pretty much do at home, but the rust/paint is a big dollars problem for me..

someone here in perth did a conversion to rb25det and i believe all up including purchase of original, body work and conversion, all the way through to compliance cost him about $25k. i'd say you'd be lucky to find anyone willing to sell an rb zed for any less than 20 for one in decent nik.

probably easier to just scour internet sites, the paper, and the local club for a decent rust free article to come around and then buy a half cut and do it yourself. you say your an apprentice (mechanic i presume?) so you should have the tools and know how to do most of the work yourself, and z's and really very complicated. infact they're really very simple to work on.

Tom.

ah...I forgot to mention the the guy I was talking about is installing his RB in a race car so engineering and compliance is'nt aqs big an issue as a street car which translate into less $$$, but yer I've often heard people saying an RB conversion could set you back 10 to 15K running. A lot of money hey, I reckon I'll just stick to building a mild street friendly L28!