IGNORED

Ls7

red_dog007

I know that this is more a question at hybridz, but I don't like that place and don't even want to do a search there.

Anyways, I was thinking, there are a lot of Corvette's with middle aged men in them in their midlife crisis. I hope that I never become one of these guys. I have always wanted a 280zx 2+2, but I might meet the Corvette half way. I know that an LS2 can fit in a Z car, but I want more then just an LS2. I want 105hp and 70ft.lbs more torque then an LS2. I would want an LS7 dropped under the hood.

Anyone know if the LS7 would fit? Its supposed to have a different block then the LS2, so I am not sure if it is going to be too big now.

If it fits, I sure will be looking forward to my midlife crisis. :devious:

oh but don't put it in a 280zx 2+2 that is just ugly madness, you are losing all you performace to weigt not to mention they look like a grocery getter!! Stick with the 240z's and gut in to just what you need, that will make your HP go alot further!! Do what I did, all I have is a hallow dash and one Aluminum Kirkey race seat. no speakers, radio, heater, a/c, power steering, nothen all of it is gone! saves tons of weight, and get rid of those heavy seats too if you want to do it up right!

Red_dog, the reason you don't like that place is because they told you to search. They expect people to search first and then ask questions. Yes, they can be a bit rude, but they even state that in their forum posting rules. They ask that people have a thick skin when reading posting/reading comments because some folks may come across badly.

The best place for information on this swap is Hybridz.org, hands down.

Don't tear me to pieces if i'm not right here, but as far as I know, the LS7 is the same as an LS1 or LS2 but the block is different and it has better heads. Basically, if you can bolt in an LS2 that means you can put in an LS7. Why on earth you would put it into a ZX 2+2 is beyond me. This guy was able to get an LS2 into is 280Z very nicely, so im sure putting in a LS7 can't be all that much more difficult.

Ya they are basically the same except the LS7 is 427ci. here are a few other things that make it unique...

Engine type cam-in-block 90-degree V-8

Block configuration cast aluminum with pressed-in cylinder sleeves and 6-bolt, forged steel main bearing caps

Bore x Stroke (mm / in) 104.8 x 101.6 /4.125 x 4.00

Displacement (L / cu in) 7.0 / 427

Crankshaft forged steel

Connecting rods forged titanium

Pistons cast aluminum

Compression ratio 11.0:1

Cylinder heads CNC-ported aluminum; 70-cc chamber volume

Valve size, intake (mm / in) 56 / 2.20 (titanium)

Valve size, exhaust (mm / in) 41 / 1.61 (sodium-filled)

Camshaft hydraulic roller; 15 mm (.591 in) lift (intake and exhaust)

Rocker arms 1.8:1; offset (intake only)

Air intake composite manifold with 90 mm single-bore throttle body

Fuel Premium required. 91 octane minimum

Horsepower 505 (373 kW) @ 6200 rpm

Torque (lb-ft) 475 (644 Nm) @ 4800 rpm

Engine redline (rpm) 7000

JUST PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T PUT A MOTOR LIKE THAT IN A CAR LIKE A 280ZX, A 280Z WOULD NOT BE TO BAD, BUT STICKING WITH THE LIGHTER BETTER LOOKING 240Z IS BEST!!! I WOULD LITERALLY CRY IF YOU PUT IT IN A 280ZX 2+2!

Whats wrong with a 280zx 2+2. I forgot that it also has to be T-Tops.

The 280zx 2+2 w/ T-Tops has always been my favoritist Z car. I have been looking at them for 3 or 4 years, and it has still been my favorite of them all. Plus why is weight mattering here? With 505hp, the car is still going to be lightning fast!!!

Plus I already got my 240Z all planned out.

Either a 280zx 2+2 T-Tops w/ LS7 or a Viper SRT10 as the midlife crisis car.

Whats wrong with a 280zx 2+2. I forgot that it also has to be T-Tops.

The 280zx 2+2 w/ T-Tops has always been my favoritist Z car. I have been looking at them for 3 or 4 years, and it has still been my favorite of them all. Plus why is weight mattering here? With 505hp, the car is still going to be lightning fast!!!

Plus I already got my 240Z all planned out.

Either a 280zx 2+2 T-Tops w/ LS7 or a Viper SRT10 as the midlife crisis car.

Hmm So what is there to think about, Dude go with the Viper. I don't know if you have ever driven one but the older ones are not designed the best IMO, it feels like you sit alittle weird in your seat bc of the tranny. BUT still hands down no comparison the viper WAY WAY over the 280zx!!!!

For all the reasons previously stated don't do the 2+2, any of the V8's will fit with little difficulty. Your only real delays will be deciding which motor and the time invested in making it look and perform correctly. As for turning middle-aged, you will, its as inevitable as taxes. As for being middle-aged and driving a "Vette", well that's up to you and what you do with your life between now and then. Saw your website, good job on what you've accomplished so far. Looks to be an excellent choice for a V8 conversion / "Vette" eater (LOL).