IGNORED

Which CB radio do you carry?

TomoHawk

I was thinking about getting a CB radio for road trips, but which one?

I don't think there room for a base unit, so I will probably need a handheld unit.

So on the handhelds, what good ones are out there? Anything small, maybe with a microphone jack?

thx

I had a base unit in mine mounted behind the passenger seat. I used a removable attachment device that let me slide the unit in & out with ease - all connections were made by contacts on the two piece mounting brackets (one permanently attached to each the car and radio unit). The challenge was a good antenna that didn't look funky. I found one that was electric up/down and looked almost exactly like the OEM unit. It worked rather well for me for years and several trips cross-country when I was in the service. If good functioning hand-held units were available back then I would have given them serious consideration for the portability and anti-theft features. I think I still have the unit somewhere out in the shed but the antenna is long gone.

I have a handheld unit I got off eBay a while ago, and I just got a speaker-mic for it too, but when I plugged the it in, there was no sound. The PTT switch worked tho. I'm not sure if there is a short in the speakermic, or the mic jack.

I'm just trying to make up a 12V power cord out of a couple phone car cords (they're coiled.) I'll see what kind of range I get in the car, then maybe decide to get some kind of antenna. I know I can get an adapter cord from the BNC connector to the PLU-259, but I can't tell how light & flexible it is.

Any experience with the stick-on window antennas? It would look cool, but probably tacky at a car show.

Are CB headsets legal on the road? Probably the kind with only one speaker is.

thx

• 2 years later...

I finally got around to buying a Midland 75-822 Micro (or mini) CB radio. I think the unit is a little smaller than the Cobra unit and it can be completely removed from the car- no adapter box is needed. Only the antenna is left in the car. It doesn't have any 'thumbwheels' (like the Cobra unit) on it which you could accidentally move while holding or operating the unit. It even comes with two battery boxes- one for AA alkaline cells and one for AA rechargeables.

I only need to decide where to put it while driving.

CB radios are constantly changing too.

There's no need to rush, so I don't, and CB radio is extremely low on the list of prioities. Cell phones don't have CB transmission so they aren't pertinent to this topic.

Edited by TomoHawk