IGNORED

Outdoor Storage?

gbabcock

You don't mention whether you're living in your own home or are renting. This normally isn't much of an issue, but you might check with your local zoning laws / ordinance rules to ensure you're not going to get Mrs. Grundy all cracked up about it.

Just a guess but according to Wikipedia Talkeetna, AK has 772 people, 358 households, and 181 families. Somehow I don't think the lawyer for the local neighborhood association is going to get too bent out of shape. I went through there once on the train from Anchorage to Denali and Fairbanks. I recall one place where they tossed some old railroad cars in the river to help prevent erosion of the banks.

Yep - if you took the train up you passed pretty near my place - and ya, we've pretty loose up here as far as regs go - I can think of a few people I know that live in shelters that I wouldn't be that keen on keeping my z in.

Just a guess but according to Wikipedia Talkeetna, AK has 772 people, 358 households, and 181 families. Somehow I don't think the lawyer for the local neighborhood association is going to get too bent out of shape. I went through there once on the train from Anchorage to Denali and Fairbanks. I recall one place where they tossed some old railroad cars in the river to help prevent erosion of the banks.

Mike, while I want to agree with you, sadly there are way too many people who seem to get offended at the slightest little item and deem it their personal crusade to correct it.

A friend of mine living in a pricey condominium complex (values ^$500k for a condo) replaced a rose bush that had died on the side of his house that faced onto the common paved access road...and received a letter from the HOA imposing a FINE for "having performed or having had unauthorized landscaping" on his unit. It turns out Mrs. Grundy submitted photographs of him digging out the dead bush and replacing it with one that wasn't dead.

On this site, one of our more respected members, is constantly having to put up with the re-appearance of that maroon...Clod Zirconia. Why? Because of a perceived slight.

Heck, I've also been subject to some grief over a person's willingness to see a racial slur in the use of an idiom commonly used in the U.S....Why? Because of a willingness to see ill intent where there is none.

So, Neil, be grateful of the 20 miles separating you from your neighbor. Down here in the "lower 49" all you need to force your neighbor, fellow site user, etc. to kow-tow to your whim...is to claim you've been offended or find some "rule" to stick em with.

Sorry for the wasted bandwidth.

E

Mike, while I want to agree with you, sadly there are way too many people who seem to get offended at the slightest little item and deem it their personal crusade to correct it.

It's really sad, isn't it? Those that live in such restrictive areas can certainly benefit from your excellent advice so I wouldn't call it wasted bandwidth.

I have to store my car outside and had to purchase a car cover. In my quest to find the best, I ended up purchasing a California Car Cover. I went with the superweave option. They are very expensive, but do custom covers for our earliest of vehicles. Not wanting to spend $300 on this item, I found one on ebay for a similiar dimensioned vehicle for $75. I think it was for a mercedes 300E....or something like that. The side mirrors are wrong and it has a pocket for a cell phone antennae...but besides that, it is a perfect fit. It is amazing, because of the way the water reactes to the fabric and its treatment. The water instantly beads and runs off. Also, if your car is caught in the rain you can use the cover to dry the car really quickly.

Good luck

Found the site for California covers - looks pretty good, despite the price.

On an other note - for a bit of trivia, as far as local rules around here, there is a law that states you can't fire a center-fire weapon on an other person's property, but most people completely disregard this as 'big -government' infriging on our rights - hence I once found a bullet-hole going through the bed of my truck with a note attached from my neighbor (whom is a friend) stating "My mistake - will patch up" Suppose thats an other good reason for building some type of enclose for my z.

Just what kind of enclosure do you plan on building in that case? Sounds like you need some armor plating or concrete. LOL

I haven't laughed that hard in a while ... your worried about the rain and snow! I think it's time to put up a cheap cinderblock enlosure for your Z with the help of your neighbor who shot your pickup! There's your repayment.

A good car cover can go a long way ... right now my Z is frozen shut! The rain and snow and melting and freezing rain have left my drivers door lock nonoperational! This should be a fun fix!

In Alaska? I'd worry about the snow. If you buy a canopy, make sure it's got metal roofing at least. You don't want snow to cave in causing the structure to scratch your car.

For a Z with no rust, can you afford to store it in a garage over the winter? I'd think storage places in Alaska would be pretty cheap.

Ya, the snow worries me - but really because it does get above freezing much, the snow never gets to turn into water - at least til spring. I've had the same problem with the door freezing shut, in which case I get out the old space heater. I'd love to garage it for the winter, but the closest garage is about 2 1/2 hours away - though it still maybe worth the trip.